Film and airport securities

jackson loi

Hi All,

It has been 3 years since I travelled abroad (le sigh). I am always paranoic

of having my films scanned by airport securities. I kept my films in a ziploc

bag, and seldomly succeeded in having it inspected manually. If I ever buy a

digital camera, it would be mainly because of this issue. It will be very sad

not to bring Leica along for a big trip. =(

What are your recent experience at airports with your films?

Much appreciated,

What country?

In the UK your chances of a hand inspection of film are slim to none.

In the US you have an excellent chance of getting a hand inspection of film.

Can't really speak for other countries.

Either way, don't worry too much. With normal speed film (certainly up to ISO 400) there's very little risk even for multiple passes through the scanner.

If you're absolutely paranoid, FedEx your film home or get it processed before returning.

Just don't pack it in your checked luggage.

I just got back from a domestic trip within Canada. On the outbound leg (from Victoria)

the security willingly hand inspected the film, opening the cardboard boxes of the 120 but

not the foil envelopes then wiping them all with a piece of paper which they put in an

analyzer for, I presume, explosive residues, using 1 piece of paper for about every 4 rolls.

These included my bulk loaded 35mm cassettes on which I had written "400" on adhesive

tape.

On the return leg (from Halifax), the security was just sitting around between flights but

refused to hand check the exposed film due to the label 400 I had written on them. I

insisted I intended to push some above their limit of 800 ASA but they didn't believe me

and pushed it all through the xray. They were sitting around with nothing much else

happening so it seems to depend on the mood of the crew at the time. I have not

processed my film but am not too worried from the account of others. I think the advice

to ship it home via courier is a good one and I would consider it for next time. The other

option is to label your bulk loaded cassettes at above 800 ASA as I was told that was the

limit for hand inspection.

In the past I have thrown a few old cassettes from TMZ 3200 in the bag with the rest of my film with the "6400" speed box checked. My assumption was that if they objected to hand inspection of lower speed film it might be more trouble than it was worth for them to sort the rolls by speed and they'd just hand inspect the lot. In fact I don't think I was ever refused a hand inspection in the US anyway. I gave up trying in the UK as they always made me put it through the scanner.

I always use a lead film bag (film shield xpf 20) avialable from B&H or other suppliers. Put my film through the scanner and then if they have a problem then they hand inspect. Its funny sometimes they check it other times they dont and it goes right through. The lead bag is rated even for luggage scanners, but I always bring it along with my camera equipment as carry on. I have not done this in england, but I have used this method in france, mexico, carribean and althoughout the US with no problems.

Never had a problem with low dose x-ray exposure, Jackson. I have never requested a hand search (you probably wouldn't get one anyway) and some of my film, all m/f 50 and 100 asa Velvia, has had multiple doses on long-haul travel without effect, but I can't speak for faster emulsions. I've never felt the need for a lead-lined bag either, I suspect that the x-ray machine operator would be likely to increase the dose if the contents were not obvious anyway. Put your cameras and film through the hand bagage machine (not hold bagage!) and stop worrying. Enjoy your trip.

I have flown from Seattle, San Diego, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Halifax, Miami, Orlando,Boston,Toronto, Heathrow and Gatwick. And probably others.

I have never, ever had my requests for hand inspection of film (at all the above airports) agreed too!!!!! It mattered not if they were busy or slack.

But, I have also never, ever had film suffer from the low dose x-rays that accompanied baggage is subjected to.

<P>This topic has been absolutely flogged to death. No-one has ever reported visible damage to films from the carry-on bag scanner. There was a time when people hinted darkly at "invisible damage", which if you think it through is totally ludicrous.</P><P> Take your film. Don't put it in the hold baggage. Forget about it.</P>

I travel frequently within North America and have never been denied a hand inspection, although sometimes when security is not busy I will need to argue the point with them. To date, I have found that busy security will not argue; they will just do the hand inspection.

I always carry some 3200 speed film that won't be put through, and as they must do a hand inspection anyway, they simply hand check all the film.

Vic, Maybe that only applies to Ilford film!!

Seriously, I think that you will find that article was published at the time when virtually nothing was allowed to be taken onboard (August) One was limited to passport, ticket and wallet. No paper, books, liquids. The paperbacking on rollfilms were deemed too dangerous. (just like those Harlequin Romance novels). As for the metal cassettes holding 35mm film, well, who knows what one might stuff into them!

Those days have been and gone