18-200VR

mtk

Hi All....Just curious, for those of you that have, or are considering the 18-

200VR zoom, do you anticipate "cleaning out your bag" of other lenses

(excepting super wide or telephoto)? I have been under the impression that do-

it-all lenses are kinda' poo-poo'd for "serious" photography. (whatever that

is).

Thoughts on if this guy is worth the approx $1000.....

I admit I do have an older Tamron 80-200 that is a decent perfomer. It is slow

focusing and tough to get decent shots when the light gets tricky, but certain

times it is a handy lens to have in the bag with my other lenses..

(using on a D70)

Thanks for your input!

Mark

This is great multi-purpose lens. Possibly the best ever.

There are sharper lenses e.g. the non-DX 28-70 used for the D200 brochure, but what you are buying here is an all round package. I also have the 17-55 which is not noticeably sharper and the 12-24 which is brilliant.

I just used the 18-200 for a wedding and it was the perfect lens in terms of having a single lens that I could use for everything. It was fast enought inside for tripod shots of the ceremony in available light but the VR outside for candid shots was a real bonus.

Depth of field at 200 is short so it doesn't work miracles.

With the 12-24 for some extra interior shots it was the ideal pairing.

It is almost the only lens I use nowadays. I carry the 80-400 VR if I have a vehicle, but since I usually walk around places looking for shots the lens, on the D70, is nice and light and extremely versitile. Almost all of the recent Photos on my website jhearst.typepad.com were made with it so you can get an idea of what it does.

I found a 18-200mm VR in Oregon after searching all over the UK for months. I have been absolutely delighted with the results and it's the only lens I now use. It's as sharp as the 50mm f1.8 I was using with 35mm and I'm regularly hand-holding shots at 1/8 sec with pin-sharp results. As you've probably gatherd by now, I love it ! Ian<div>00IRd1-32973584.jpg.ea6183ce7f96da61ebd83b3c55db1cf8.jpg</div>

I found a 18-200mm VR in Oregon after searching all over the UK for months. I have been absolutely delighted with the results and it's the only lens I now use. It's as sharp as the 50mm f1.8 I was using with 35mm and I'm regularly hand-holding shots at 1/8 sec with pin-sharp results. As you've probably gatherd by now, I love it !<div>00IRdK-32973684.jpg.658006b16ac45bcd40a3f542a8b1ec00.jpg</div>

Love mine. I only spent 750, so I guess I'm lucky... but it's awesome.

I almost never use my 50 1.8 (unless light is very low) and I'm not sure that I'll buy any

primes in this range. I want a fast long lens and a super wide like a 12-24, but I'd be unlikely

to buy anything in the 18-200 range any time soon...

If you can only have one lens with you and you'll be facing a wide variety of situations (i.e. on a vacation or at a wedding) and having a very wide maximum aperture is not a requirement then the Nikon 18-200 is probably for you. I have one and love it. Is it as sharp and fast as my Nikon 17-55/2.8 and 70-200/2.8? No, but it is very good overall and much lighter, smaller and cheaper than the combination of a 17-55 and 70-200.

If you can only have one lens with you and you'll be facing a wide variety of situations (i.e. on a vacation or at a wedding) and having a very wide maximum aperture is not a requirement then the Nikon 18-200 is probably for you. I have one and love it. Is it as sharp and fast as my Nikon 17-55/2.8 and 70-200/2.8? No, but it is very good overall and much lighter, smaller and cheaper than the combination of a 17-55 and 70-200.

Erica, Not sure which ens you have in mind. The 18-200 VR is a light lens...

Now Sigma has announced their optically stabilised 18-200 lens. I think it is their second OS lens, coming after their well regarded 80-400 OS. The new lens is half a stop slower than the Nikkor at the long end but it should be significantly cheaper. Should be a worthwhile alternatives for all the folks who can't afford the NIkkor. Since Nikon seems to be having problems meeting market demand it seems a good move at the right time by Sigma.

Anyone who tries this lens please post first impressions...