which lens is better

soumyadip_ghosh

The problem with these questions is that no one can answer them, except based on net-

rumors and heresay (my guess is that the Tamron is best optically, and the Tokina is most

solid constructtion). If you ever buy one of these lenses, you never buy another because

you will be dissapointed with performance.

Soumyadip, do yourself a favor, and buy an affordable Nikkor prime lens, new or used,

and experience the quality of such a lens. The convenience of zoom lenses is way

overrated.

Dan

I own a Tokina 28-70mm ATX Pro and its' build quality "IS" good for the $245 I spent on it, and it performs well on digital and film bodies. This is the foundation for my suggestion, and not something left to guess work. ATX lenses such as the 80-400 are optically a notch lower than the ATX Pro lenses, but construction is equally good for both.

Vivek's suggestion, while excellent, is slightly flawed. Since your eyes will be closed, you might hit a spot between two choices, which will of course will lead to the inevitable "I have narrowed my search down to these two lenses - which would you pick?" question. :-)

What you need to do is write down each lens on seperate slips of paper, put them in a hat, and pick one out (eyes closed of course). Buy that lens. On the off chance you accidentally pick up two pieces of paper, buy the one that is left in the hat. If against all odds you should grab all three, then you probably have no "vision" and should just give up photography as a hobby. Whatever the outcome of the above - problem solved.

Okay, maybe that's being sarcastic and not very helpful. Eliminate #2 from your list (it's been a long time since Vivitar "made" any lens worth buying). Choose #1 or #3 based on a) price or b) which one looks better. Or use the hat method.

i know that i have asked about these lenses a number of times . i personally have no intention of buying crappy zooms . I want to gift it 2 my little brother (14YRS) which should be his first lens with a nikon F65.

i personally have done a lot of research but no definite solution . the optical quality is more or less the same . i only want to know whether the 10 element (in sigma) or 9 element (tamron ) will matter.

"i personally have no intention of buying crappy zooms"

Oh wow!! That's commendable.

Many (or maybe most) photographers are even crappier than these zooms so you need to define what "crappy" means for you. If I wanted to make sure I were not buying a "crappy" zoom, I'd just go ahead and buy the 80-200/2.8 AFD. If I did not have the money I'd just shut up and buy what I could afford and had the features I need.

Unfortunately you still haven't seem to have figured out that it is impossible to fairly compare 3 consumer long zooms in a www forum.

Just curious which tripod you are planning to use?

dear Mr.shung

my sincere apology for posting similar questions about these lenses. i assure you that i WILL NOT post any query about these lenses in future.by the way i have not received any emails from you. there is practically no way that ur emails can bounce so please check my mail address carefully before sending any emails in future.

yours admire

soumyadip

Why would anyone want a telephoto zoom as a first lens? You better have a good tripod as Arnab said. I would contemplate a normal prime or if you are really into zooms maybe we can have a bout of mails about the 28-80 ones.

-A