30d and higher iso

anna_marten

Just got a new 30d last week and haven?t been able to spend time playing until

this weekend. I spend some time doing test shots at different ISO?s and am

pretty pleased with the low noise at the higher end.

I was curious what ISO people have been comfortable using for weddings.

Obviously your intended use and size of the final image will dictate as well

but I was interested in others successes.

Thanks for sharing

Will be using 24-70L 2.8 and 70-200L USM IS 2.8

I have the 20D, but I think the noise levels are the same as the 30D. I'll go as high as ISO 1600 with good results. When it's that dark, though, I usually replace the 24-70 2.8L with a faster prime. You might be interested in <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DNvQ">this thread from the archives</a> about shooting with high ISO's if you haven't already seen it.

Just depends on what the lighting and/or your intentions calls for.

For ceremony and reception shots, i will use what ever is necessary to preserve as much ambient as possible....even if that calls for the use of 3200. Do it all the time. However, my target ISO for indoors is around 500-800. Outdoor shots in sufficient lighting, i'm usually at 200.

I shoot at iso 1600 all the time with the 30D, in fact I've shot entire weddings at iso 800+ without any problems at all. Some photographers are too obsessed with noise as it is, it doesn't show up half as bad in an actual print as it does on your monitor. Focus on getting great images first, and let the pixel peepers worry about how much noise their getting at iso 800 vs 1600.