Epson 2200 replacement???

I think they'd sell a boatload of new printers if they'd just make it easy to make a decent 13X19 B&W print without having to stand on your head and buy new inks, tanks, RIPS, etc. The HP7960 kicks the 2200's butt (in B&W only!) right out of the box, but 8.5X11 is as big as you get with that HP printer. I bought one even though I already owned a 2200 and that was money that didn't go to Epson. Just my .02 cent's worth. Best wishes . . .

I'm curious if and when Epson will ever make a printer that delivers better looking prints than a 1280. The 2200 did not and neither did the 4000. I've seen many prints from each and can't tell the difference.

Of course, Epson and others keep making printers that have better sounding specs but that's just to keep people buying new printers.

Possibly the printers have hit the same wall that old fashioned enlargers did where all they could add was glitz and nothing that improved image quality.

<a href="http://www.keithlaban.co.uk">Keith Laban Photography</a><p>Bob, with respect you're right and you're wrong ;-)<p>The Epson 1280 and the Epson 2200/2100 are very different beasts and one is not a substitute for the other. Sure, if you want prints to resemble traditional wet darkroom prints on glossy papers then you certainly shouldn't buy the 2200. If on the other hand you want the best available quality archival prints using pigmented inks on matte art papers then you definitely should buy the 2200 or one of it's big brothers. This is the strength of the 2200 and I can't see anything on the specifications of either the R800 or 4000 that would improve on these strengths.

The 4000 has cartidges for both photo black and matte black inks. This allows switching paper media without having to waste lots of ink switching between photo black & matte black. That would be a nice improvement for the 2200. I print primarily on Premium Lster paper and so I have photo black loaded in my 2200. But I would like a hassle free option to print ona matte paper every now and then...

I think Epson are dragging their heals on a 2200 / 2100 replacement.

The r800 has a number of significant advances in terms of droplet size and the gloss optimizer which would make sense for Epson to carry through into the A3 range.

There printers are also increadibly slow compared to the canon offerings. Canon has also recently released its new 8 ink A3 offering with improved color gamut raising the bar for A3 printing.

I want archival performance , ability to print glossy pics if I need too with the speed of a canon.

Come on Epson get your finger out

Fast printing brings many problems. One of the biggest is that number of 'better' papers (semigloss, perl, high-gloss, ...) is reduced due to drying problems. Pizza rollers or even rubber rollers tend to leave marks on surface, which is not dry enough. Second problem on my list is paper handling.

And a second thought about bigger colorspace - most of the printers drivers operate in sRGB mode. Which is small. :-)

In my experience more printheads bring more problem. And the calculation of 5th, 6th, ... color in CMYK proces is quite problematic. TIL one paper can take is almost a constant. So we are back on the drying problem.

Anyhow - we will see ...

• 2 weeks later...
My Epson 1280 just went south and I replaced it with a Canon i9900. It was not nearly as good as the 1280 (although about 10 times faster!), and I sent it back intending to buy another 1280. But the 1280 is heavily discounted and Epson now is even offering a $100 rebate, which makes me wonder if they are trying to clear inventory in preparation for a 1280 (inkjet) replacement?

• 2 weeks later...

Translation of the major specifications with my available japanese knowledge

glossy pigment printer. has "Adobe RGB mode".

resolution (dpi): 5760?~1440

paper size: L size /2L size/ post card/A6/ A4/A3/A3 /

ink type: 8 independent color

CD-R/DVD printing:

interface: IEEE 1394 interface ?~1/USB 2.0 interface ?~1 (USB 2.0 high speed /USB 1.1)

external size (mm): 615?~314?~219 (W?~D?~H) mass: Approximately 11.7

kg

Retail price in Japan 69800 yen (621 US$ (according to today"s rate)

Thanks

Ranjith

• 7 months later...

Epson are going to replace the 2200 with the new R2400, here are some of the basic specs:

Avalable: Now

RRP: ?599 GBP here in the UK (about $1000 USD - stright currency conversion)

8 UltraChrome K3 inks, 3 for black and white and I think it also has blue and red ink too.

Resolution: 5760dpi

Prints A3+ size of course

Epson say the prints can last up to 80 years.

Looks good, the question is how long will the ink last, e.g. how many A3+ size photos can you print befroe you need to change the individual ink cartriges........

Here is a link to the Epson UK site, has some more info that has just appeared about it.

http://www.epson.co.uk/products/inkjet_printers/Stylus_Photo_R2400.htm