EOS Flash

Because the EOS flash system works very badly indeed in shutter priority mode. Indeed it hardy works at all and is the worst possible choice. I don't know the technical reason why this is.

There's no reason to use shutter priority. You are MUCH better off in Program, Aperture Priority and Manual.

Actually, let me take back my previous answers. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking of, but it shouldn't do this.

I just tested my 30D with flash in Tv mode and it was OK. It should give correct ambient exposure.

I do remember some sort of cautions about using Tv mode with autoflash, but now I'm not sure what they are! I'll see if I can find what I'm thinking of in my Canon flash files.

J Robinson: "'There's no reason to use shutter priority. You are MUCH better off in Program, Aperture Priority and Manual.' Not if you want the higher shutter speed to help with what you are shooting, like sports."

Err, maybe I'm missing something, but you can set as high a shutter speed as you want (within the camera's specs) in Manual mode.

Kevin: Since you posted examples where presumably you did not change the camera settings between two sequential shots, yet the flash did not fire on the first but did fire on the second, does this mean you were in Program mode? If I'm using flash, I want to *know* whether or not the flash will fire. I therefore only use flash in Manual mode (where the flash is the main illumination) or Av mode (where the flash is used for fill).

Personally, I never use Tv mode, since I want to know what the aperture value will be, and control it. If I need to specify the shutter speed, I'll switch to Manual, set both the shutter speed and aperture, and adjust either exposure compensation or ISO (or both) to get a good exposure.