EF 28-90 Lens with Rebel Ti -- looking for another lens

andrew73

So I just bought the Rebel Ti kit with the EF 28-90 lens that nobody

seems to like. But the camera was $139 without a lens and $199 for

the kit which includes a couple batteries and a strap, so I couldn't

resist. For $200 it seems pretty good for a beginner setup.

Does anyone think $60 is too much to pay for this lens?

What kind of walking around all purpose lens would you guys

recommend for my first real lens? I'm thinking of adding a 50mm

f/1.8 since it's also seems to be a good value.

Just get the body only. Next thing is 50mm f1.8 for walk around purpose. Otherwise get a 28-105 f3.5-4.5 zoom for a decent price about 150 bucks used). For now, do not buy a new lens because in future, if you stick up with photography, you will keep on trying better glasses untill you get the best one.Just my $0.02 :).

The way you worded that, sounds like you've already bought it. For what it's worth, a guy in my office bought that outfit and is thrilled with what he gets, so you may just be surprised. For $60 you couldn't buy anything else better for sure. Try it out before you write it off and go spending more money. For many it serves the purpose. The 50mm f1.8 is a nice lens for it's speed if you want a fast alternative and, at $70, is about as good as it gets for price vs. performance.

If you got a bunch of extras, like a strap (something you were going to buy anyway), then it was fine to go for the kit.

General concensus will be the 24-85 or the 28-105 as a step up from kit lenses, that is if you really want a zoom.

Most will say stick with primes and get a 50mm1.8 first. Then later consider something wider like the 28mm2.8. I would say skip the zooms, and get the prime. You always have the kit lens for when you just want to take the camera with you for snapshots and have the convenience of the zoom.

-e

It depends on what you want to shoot. The EF 28-90 is fine for what it is intended to do, and spending a huge amount more won't make much difference to your photographs. Knowledge about the photographic process and understanding and learning to work with light are more important to taking good photographs than lenses. It took me a long time to realise this. The next typical piece to get is a medium telephoto zoom 70-200 or 75-300. The 50 f1.8 would be good for potraiture and shooting in lowish light, if that is what you want to do.

See which focal lengths you tend to use most in your first few rolls. If you shoot landscapes, it could well be the wide end, portraits probably would be the long end. Then consider getting a prime if you find you predominantly use one focal length. It's probably worth getting a 50 f/1.8 anyway, as this will allow you to see what an optically rather better lens is like, as well as being able to experiment with some wider apertures. If the 50 tempts you towards better glass, and you want a range of focal lengths, then either think of covering them with a selection of primes, or look at Tamron's 28-75 f/2.8 as a replacement for the kit lens.

There are a few possible strategies.

You should probably stick with your lens for now. It'll take pictures. As time goes it'll have the advantage of being usable as a "disposable" lens in bad environments (sea salt, dust...).

As you use it, you might find that you miss some focal lengths, and you may decide to go for wider or shorter lenses, like a 20-35 (if you want wider) or 100-300 (if you want longer). A 80-200 is also worth considering, mostly because it's small, cheap, light, and not bad at all (given that it is small, cheap and light).

You may also find that you like the ability to zoom and that you're find with the range, and upgrade to a 28-105 (the good version).

You may also find that you want better low-light abilities, less distortion, or the ability to have blurry backgrounds, you may decide to upgrade to prime lenses. 50/1.8 is an almost obvious first choice, through a 50/2.5 isn't a bad idea. 28/2.8 and 85/1.8 are definitely worht considering.

Just shot my first roll with the kit. I'm happy with it. Compared to the little point-and-shoot garbage and digital pics I've become accustomed to it's way better. And at $199 for the kit, those options are its competition. I will buy the 50mm f/1.8 though. Thanks.