Minolta Dual IV batch scan images for Slide Show

I am trying to help a friend use his DiMAGE Dual IV to scan his large

collection of slides. His goal is to show images FULL SCREEN with the Windows

Slide Show function, and 100 kb jpeg files seem about right. However, he

wouldn't object to somewhat larger files.

He is basically all set, and he can happily scan four slides at a time using

the slide holder with the batch scaning feature. However, the resulting images

don't fill the monitor screen when they are displayed in a Windows slide show.

He really wants them to show up as full screen images.

He does not, and probably never will, have software except what came with the

scanner. So this is not a PS work flow question. I just need very specific

instructions for the Minolta Dual IV software that I can relay to him by phone.

He now lives about 130 miles from here, otherwiswe I would just run next door

and take a look.

Thanks and cheers,

I'd assume he's using the Minolta Scan Utility, which is bundled with the scanner, perhaps just the easy scan utility. I'd suggest:

1. He read the Minolta Scan Utility manual that comes with that scanner. If he doesn't have the manual for some reason, there may be online sources to download a pdf format. I'm just now having a look for a downloadable manual, and so far have been hitting dead-ends. If I find something that works I'll post a link. Perhaps others have found a reliable link?

2. Avoid the Easy Scan Function, use the main program instead, which allows more control.

3. Verify what resolution he's scanning at. If he's not changed anything, it's probably set at something like 1350 ppi (pixels per inch), which is fairly low. Still, even that should "fill the screen", I think. I believe the max for that scanner is 3200 ppi, not sure.

4. For slide show functions, and simple viewing, an additional free or shareware program would be of benefit. Something like ACDSee or IrFanview. I prefer the former. It allows resize, rotate, format convert, etc.

5. Regardless of his desired slide show output, I'd consider outputting tiff format initially, preferably 16bit if he has the space.

A large collection of slides will take some time. He should invest the effort in learning the ins-and-outs of:

1. His scanner's software.

2. Third party image viewing software.

3. Image file formats.

4. Optimum scanning resolution. If he can, using the full resolution of the scanner is the best bet.

Just jumping in without preparation can leave you kicking yourself, down the road.

Also, and in particular if he wants to clean-up and improve the quality of his slide scans, he should look into an image editting program. Photoshop is the standard, PaintShopPro is a cheaper alternative. There are ways to get Photoshop cheaper. If you're enrolled in some courses, you can sometimes get discounts.

Thank you Mendel for those very useful links and your for recommendations.

My friend bought the scanner NEW over a year ago, but he is just now starting to use it. So he has all the original stuff that came with it, including the Dual IV software. He is now using the normal application, not the Easy version. BUT, the EASY version made image files that show up full screen with the Windows Slide Show function. However, the normal application makes images that show up with a large border, and THE BORDER IS NOT THE SLIDE MOUNT.

There is no money to buy anything else, and he just want's to do this one job for a thousand sldes. He's dogged his way far enough through the learning process to be able to batch scan four slides at a time as long as the computer stays on. He just needs one or two specific hints about getting the image to display FULL SCREEN.

ANYBODY?

The information for setting scanning resolution (if it needs changing) is in the manual, and is one of the main components on Minolta Scan Utility interface. Maybe the simplest way to check the resolution, assuming Windows System:

1. In Windows Explorer, navigate to a folder with images.

2. Then tick on pulldown View|Choose details|Dimensions, and click OK.

3. Now the files should show the x and y dimensions. You may have to scroll to the right, or maximize the window. You can also single left click somewhere in the right field, then type <ctrl> <+>, to auto-size all the columns.

4. If the first dimension (x dimension, horizontal) is greater than the monitor's current display resolution, the images *should* be filling the screen. If this is the case, there is a problem with with your image display problem. To check the monitor's resolution setting, right-click the desktop, choose properties, then settings.

5. Some viewer programs have problems displaying tiffs. This could be the issue, just guessing. Earlier versions of ACDSee, for one, have this problem. IrfanView is a freeware image viewer to consider.

If you can find out:

1. What resolution is MSU (Minolta Scan Utility) saying it's scanning at?

2. What file format is MSU outputting?

Hi Charles, saw your comment on page 55 after I posted. The Input dpi is the important number. It's the *actual* scan pixels per inch setting. That scanner is (I believe) capable of 3200ppi. The default is probably 1350 dpi. Maybe someone who owns a Dual IV can comment.

The Output dpi is really just a starting point setting for printers. I think it defaults to 300. I like to set mine to be equal to my scanner's (scan elite 5400) scan resolution, for unrelated reason. This output dpi can be modified, with Photoshop or whatever, without changing anything else in the file, *as long as* you tell PS *not* to resample the image.

A good site for resolution, pixels per inch, dot per inch, etc:

WWW.Scantips.com