What are advantages of parabolic flashes?

nikon geek

Parabolic reflectors have three advantages. They're round so they're optimised for the 6x6 format with which they're frequently used. They're larger than a speedlight's reflector, so the light is slightly softer. But the biggest advantage is that they're significantly deeper than a speedlight and the flash bulb is better located within the reflector, consequently you don't get the hotspots or vignetting that plague speedlights, especially with wider lenses.

If they're so good why isn't everyone using them?

Because flash units like the Quantum come with an extensive list of disadvantages too. There's no zoom function with a parabolic reflector, switching ends on a 24-70mm zoom means changing reflectors. They're bulky, heavy, expensive, and have only partial integration with today's SLR's, for example when I use the latest Quantum T4d's on my Canons I lose high speed flash synch.

I agree that parabolic type flashes are versatile (bare bulb and different modifiers), but I can't completely agree with some of the other statements. Compared to a small, shoe type flash, a parabolic flash is only very slightly softer due to the bigger size of the head, and does perhaps throw more spill light, helping the "wrap around" effect. But compared to a larger non-parabolic flash like the Sunpak and Metz units, the parabolic flash is not softer, more wrap-around or more even. In fact, in some comparison tests I did, the Metz 60 unit I have was more even, all the way to the corners, while the parabolic Sunpak 120J I have had hotspots (only noticeable on a perfectly flat surface) and coverage did not extend to the corners (I have medium format square equipment). The shots from both types of flashes were identical in "harshness/hardness of light". So when you say "regular speedlight", it depends what type of unit--the smaller-headed shoe mount type or the larger non-parabolics.

Good points Nadine, I'll be more specific.

The measured light spread I get from Quantum T4d's with a wide angle diffuser (and before them Quantum T2's), is significantly more even than with comparable wide angle settings on Canon 550's, Metz 54's, and the Metz's predecessor (I can't remember the nomenclature but it might have been the Metz 45).

Regarding