L series lens hood and gadget bag

tuan_tran

Hi All,

How do people actually carry their lens hoods in their gadget bag?

I mean lens hood such as the 70-200 IS, 100-400 IS and 24-70L?

Hoods on those lenses are pretty big. It seems like a lot of the

bags out their holds lenses and that's it. If you put the hood on

the lens, it no longer fit in the slot.

Any advice on configuration or bags or better yet, pictures are

appreciated.

Note that I don't usually carry the 70-200IS and 100-400IS together

but I usually carry one of those + 24-70L, 16-35L and a couple of

primes depending on the occasion.

Thanks

There are numerous bags which are large enough, and with flexible dividers, so that you can configure compartments for the bag to accomodate the lenses you mentioned, even with those large lenshoods reversed on their respective lenses. If your present bag is too small to accomodate those lenses with hoods reversed, perhaps it's time to buy a larger bag.

I have a Tamrac bag, which I purchased many years ago and I have carried similar items, to what you described, with ease. I am sure some others on this forum can make specific recommendations for bags which would be suitable for your equipment.

Bags bags bags.... Couple things. I use an Apollo Bag that I got on eBay that mirrors the Tamrac Summit. Great backpack bag for 37 dollar and 15.40 for shipping. I don't know where I would be with out it. Second I minumize space in my Backpack bag by using SnapCaps for my Filters, carring film in inside pockets or in a bag that I can clip onto the backpack. I carry a 4.4LBS Tripod, because I know my EOS 1V HS needs a tripod that is heavy duty. You can buy a graphite tripod, I like the sturdy feeling of an aluminum tripod that supports 11 lbs. of equipment. I think besides my two camera's the Rebel Ti (film) and EOS 1 V HS (Film) cameras the next heavy piece is the batteries. Then comes the film. Everything else is Glass or Plastic. Hoods go on reverse however my 19-35mm lens I keep it on the right way, its even with the end of the lens so it doesn't matter, but the Sigma 28mm - 300mm has to go in reverse. I have a 35mm-350mm canon L lens if I have that in the bag then the Rebel Ti is in the bag with out a lens on it, and tucked away on the side in one of the divders. My packback bag is about 40 Lbs all the time doesn't matter what I do it is always that heavy. I even have an X-large rain coat packed in it just in case.

Have a great day !

I have a Lowepro TLZ AW holster bag that will hold an EOS 3, and either the 100-400 zoom, the 70-200 IS zoom, or the 24-70 zoom atached (with hood reversed).....plus the 550 EX flash in the front pocket. Then, the rest of the stuff fits into a Canon 200EG backpack, which also has generous outside pockets. All with hoods attached, but sometimes I take the hood off the wide angle zoom and put it in the large outside pocket (that is such a wide hood!).

The pack across my back, the holster bag over one shoulder, and tripod in hand.

These bags are $50 each, and are what I've been using for about a year. But I have many bags I'm not using I could tell you about.

I forgot to add that I have the following bags:

LowePro Reporter 500

LowePro Pro Mag 2

LowePro Trekker Classic II

Tamrac Expedition 5

I can move the dividers around but when I do that, it takes more than half the bag which sucks. Also, not many bags out there can accomodate the length of the 70-200 or 100-400. Some backpacks like the Trekker Classic can accomodate these lenses but that sucker is pretty darn big. My problem mostly lies with handbag style bags.

You bring up a very intersting point. I had to search a while before I came up with an

acceptable solution. Actually, I came up with 2 solutions.

The first solution is a Domke F2. I can put the 70-200 into the center dividers and up to

3-5 other lenses. I put the 70-200 lens hood into the side pocket along with the tripod

collar. This usually works quite well, and the lenses are very easily accessible. I also like

the non-descript look of the the F2. It looks like a simple canvas bag. The Domke F2

goes for about $100.

My other solution is a LowePro miniTrekker backpack. This backpack can easily hold the

larger lenses with hood installed. It distributes the weight well, and there is quite a bit of

padding, but stuff is naturally more difficult to get to. I think I picked up the miniTrekker

for around $80.

i love tamrac bags with their lens gate systems etc, but they just dont work well with hoods mounted. I am fighting that issue with my 28-70/2.8L which has a 4 inch diameter hood.

I have been looking at the Domke bags where you can buy large diameter sections up to 6 inches and then short narrow ones for primes as my next bag. I like to keep my flash guns, meters and lenses in their own little homes where they wont get to banged up or scratched.

If you want to walk around with the lens hood on and the camera ready to go with the 100-400L IS on it, then the TLZ will work great. It won't actually fit completely inside the case, but if you leave the case open and hang the camera and lens in it, while having the camera strap around your neck, you will have a pretty good solution to your problem. The TLZ will take a bit of strain off your neck if you adjust everything so the lens hood just touched the bottom of the TLZ. And the case will keep your lens from swinging around or being scratched, yet ready to shoot any any time. When you're done, reverse the hood, put the cap on and zip up the bag. I usually use the shoulder strap and a waist belt with the TLZ unless I'm just carrying it from car to shoot. Heck you can use only the handle on the top for that. But, I tried hiking with shoulder and waist belt, and 10d with 100-400. It was too heavy with just those straps. I would recommend using the chest straps that come with it. You can then carry a backpack on your back, and the TLZ on your chest if you have to. If you adjust the chest straps, you can reverse them to use as a backpack type strap setup, and even combine it with a waist belt. Not easily accessible, but hikable without discomfort. And you can add some strap pads on your shoulders, cause the chest straps are kind of narrow for hiking.