wedding photo critique.....please

desiree_cole

Jonathan - When uploading photos - please read the instructions ;-)

511 pixels or less in width and a CAPTION -

Otherwise it becomes a link which is not desireable at all.

Desiree - Love the joy and feeling you captured. In this shot you've uploaded - just take the time to get the bride to remove the blowing hairs from her face... It will make a big difference.

Desiree, I assume that you want crique on your work and not just coloring. These comments are on the Mabel and Jeff wedding. I think they are ok. You need to focus on some more poses and different angles. You kept shooting the same angles and the same straight on portraits. If stiff traditional is your style, then your fine. Else, you need to start thinking outside the box and try different things. Exposure wise, the pictures were great.

Hi Desiree. I like the lower contrast in your original, personally. Weddings are a "soft"

romantic time, (usually!). I couldn't get through all your photos, way too many, but a couple

things that I would recommend is getting closer and beware of the bulls eye. Your pictures all

look like they were shot on a tripod. All from the same perspective, kinda far and centered.

Move around for some variety. Don't be afraid to get close, or use a zoom. Also, you could

pan out a little more on the full length beach portraits and use the rule of 3. (search it here)

Hope that helps! Z

Hi Desiree,

Your exposures look great. However, I agree with the others regarding your composition. It would really improve your images to get much closer to your subject. Many of the photos are just centered within the horizontal frame. Get closer, and try some different angles and perpectives to add interest and make the photos more dynamic. Good luck!

I'm not near the experts the others are here, but I'll dare to toss in a couple of thoughts you might find useful...

Is the house on the cliff part of the story? If it isn't, I'd want it to go away. If it was, I'd make it more part of the composition and less centering of the B&G.

I think the B&G are something like 1 stop too dark for my personal preference.

Again, no big degrees or thousands of 'award winning' pix, so use what is useful, ignore anything else!

pat

I think you have to be more carefull about about how the background interferes with the subjects. There are too many places where the horizon is cutting right through their heads. Try lowering the camera so you see mostly sky, or find an angle where the background does not interfere, or else shoot with the lens wide open to blur the background out.

Desiree,

Sorry to be late to the party. I haven't read any of the other comments so I apologize if I'm redundant.

As far as the beach wedding, I'd say way too many horizontals and negative space around your subjects. It's almost was like watching a movie, one frame at a time. Watch your horizons and keep them level, ideally in camera or with photoshop. Watch you back grounds too. Parking lots rarely make for an attractive back ground.

As for the second wedding, again, you composition is monotonous (I'm sorry that sounds harsh, but I can't think of another way to put it). Subjects typically are dead center, shot at eye level with too much space and too much DOF. Vary your pespective. Turn your camera vertical more, especially with only 2 people in the pic.

The formal poses are stiff (it almost looked like you were going for American Gothic-if that's what the couple wanted, okay). Turn your subjects-especially with larger people turning them 45 degrees will make them skinnier, vary their positioning and watch out for the racoon eyes in the church. Mixed lighting in a church is always difficult for color. How did you light it? Looks like ambient. You may need strobes for those conditions. Also, the couple looks OOF but the crucifix looks pretty sharp, like your camera focused of the background.

The B&W shots look very flat. How did you do your conversions?

Your lighting of the candids also seemed very flat. Some direct flash, it looked like (an absolute no-no) and a lot of bouncing? Use more ambient/directional lighting. It will give your subjects more dimensionality.

Weddings are about spontaneous emotions. Your images are too far from the action to bring us into the event. Get some tighter more intimate shots.

Sorry if this was harsh, but IMO there are these are things you need to work on to improve you photography.

Paul