between the 105 and the 200 but I keep dreaming of the 70-200L glass, but it

is not within my budget for my requirements. Will my 540EZ work ok with the

Xti, and how about the other equipment, any suggestions out there? I have no

experience with the digital SLR's at all, I hear the XTi is a little small,

but I dont see a problem with that so long as it is sturdy. Any help at all

would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Flash: You need an EX flash. My recommendation goes to the 430EX. Small, light, relatively cheap and offers a lot of features.

Wide: Indeed there are a lot of wide zooms to choose from but my recommendation goes to the 10-22/3.5-4.5 USM. All wide zooms are good but this one is the best.

>> I realize i am lacking between the 105 and the 200

You realized wrong. This is easily compensated with a bit of thought prior to shooting and a bit of foot work.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Make sure you actually handle the XTi before you buy. It's tiny, especially compared to an A2E. My wife apprciates the size, but it's awkward for me.

For ultra-wides, I played with a Sigma 10-20 zoom a few days ago. It has a good feel, and from what I could tell, sharpness was comparable to the Canon 10-22. In the end, I wound up with the 17-40 after all, since I want to be able to use it for the 5D, and also for film.

<p>Definitely handle the XTi before buying, as you'll notice a number of differences relative to your A2E. The XTi is smaller and lighter, with a very different feel in the hands; this may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on personal preference. As well, I think the A2E has the quick control dial on the back, right? Do you ever use it? If so, be aware that the XTi lacks this feature; while there are other ways to achieve the things that the quick control dial does, they're not as convenient.</p>

Bob

I went from an EOS A2 (EOS 5 here in the UK) over to the digital 'rebel' line; firstly with the original Rebel (300D) and just last week to the Rebel XTi (400D).

The previous posts are bang on in terms of the handling experience between the A2 and the XTi. They are very different - the XTi is much smaller in the hand. You need to determine if this will bother you (it doesn't me).

I also find that the XTi feels better with a big lens on (I use a 100-400L IS). This may sound odd, but with a heavy lens I do most of the 'holding' with my left hand. The right hand just steadies the camera and presses the button!

Anyway, good luck.

Maybe you know this, and the others have hinted, but just to be explicit: on the Drebel there will be a 1.6x "crop" factor. That means that for any lens you need to multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.6 to get it's "effective" focal length on the DSLR. So, as others have said, your 20mm lens becomes a 32mm lens (20x1.6). Not so good for wide anlge, but great for telephoto

Bob,

After using the A2e, I think you will miss the thumbwheel if you get a digital Rebel (XTi or other model).

Buy a CompactFlash card, grab your lenses, and take some photos with a Canon 20D or a Canon 30D (borrow, rent, or try one in the camera store). The control dial near the shutter release and the thumbwheel on the back will feel very natural based on your A2e experience. Then try the Rebel. I think you will prefer a 20D/30D.

Jim

Thanks all,

for all the great info. I will miss the thumbwheel if I decide on the rebel. I have held and looked it over quite well and the size is strange but ok. I will take a further look into the 20D before I make any final choice. I was aware of the crop factor, but was not aware that my 540 would even work. Working with snapshots of grandkids I will look into an EX series. Thanks again, some great ideas and some places to start.

Regards

Bob

All you've read here is valid. I have the XT, and my wife uses a 20D. The 20D is easier to hold and balances better on a tripod with a long lens. That said, the battery grip for the XT solved both problems for me. It gave my little finger a place to hold onto. It added weight for better balance with long lenses on a tripod. And it allowed two batteries. The XT batteries are short on capacity compared to the BP511 in the 20D, and a second battery keeps me going all day, even with IS lenses.

One more thing. Don't lend this one to the kids.