Canon Speedlite 550EX or 420EX Flash?

jason_cho1

It's worth having the 550EX over the 420EX if:

1. You don't have a camera with a control for flash exposure compensation

2. you don't have a camera that has a control for second curtain flash sync.

3. You want to use the wireless slave feature.

4. you have a lens wider than 24mm and shoot film. The wide panel on the 550EX gets you down to 17mm. With the Digital bodies the 420EX will work just fine with a 17mm lens.

There are other features the 550EX has that the 420EX does not. These are just 4 very good reasons to buy the 550EX if you value them.

Jason -

I currently have both, and will be selling the 550EX. It is defintely a more powerful flash with more features. However, I've been more than happy with the 420EX on both film and digital, and the extra features are not worth the price for me. The one thing I will say is that the 550EX is noticeably bigger and heavier than the 420EX, which may or may not matter for your purposes.

I agree with Greg's answer... if the four features he mentioned aren't important to you, then don't buy the 550EX.

Hope this helps!

Sheldon

• 7 years later...
<p>FWIW I am informed today that Canon UK CPS centre has no spares for 550EX and is returning mine (crashed over mounted on a heavy stand - worked through the shoot - one week later no workee) - unrepaired. Let my insurance on the item lapse last year as the per item excess was nearly the price of a new flash. A bit disappointing that Canon write off their equipment so soon. Worth bearing in mind. What is members experience with Metz, Nikon, Sigma etc. Seems I'll be in the market for a Canon {compatible ) replacement</p>