Rollei lenes

h poggy

I have a question for the audience :

I have a Rollei 6006 with a standard 80mm lens. Currently I would like

to expand my lens collection. I primarily do landscape photography. I

was considering purchasing a 150 or 250mm lens. Are there any

important factors to watch out for in this selection? Are the current

lenses interchangeable with the 6006 and 6008 (if I ever upgrade)?

Where would be a good place to make this purchase? Thank you very much

for your time and effort!

Hans, I am not familiar with all the details. However you should not use PQS-lenses on a non-PQS body. That is the only consideration when using current lenses. Check your body: no 1/1000 sec -> no PQS-lenses. The PQS-lenses are labeled PQS. It says PQS-lenses draw too much currant from the body.

a 250mm will be harder to find and will be rather heavy to carry, I think.

In general there are currently 4 kinds of lenses

non-PQ, usually labelled "HFT" but that described the coating, and all the lenses are HFT. These are the original 6006 lenses and no longer made.

PQ which allows for wide-open metering with 6003, 6008 and 6008i bodies only. (Not useful if you only have a 6006). But you can use PQ lenses on a 6006, at least those lenses which display the f/stop in a window.

PQS are like the PQ lenses but go up to 1/1000 second instead of 1/500.

You can't use these on a 6006 body because of electrical current requirements.

EL lenses which (I think) are the same as PQ but have a 67mm filter front ring instead of the Rollei Bayonet VI. Mean to be Economy but actually they seem to be only slightly less expensive.

If you upgrade you can use any 6006 lens with a 6003/8, but you will not be able to meter wide-open, and the lens mechanism will be slower and noisier than a PQ or PQS lens, since it stops down to meter, and then goes through the rest of the routine.

I don't know what current prices are like, but you could try looking at Ebay. I think an HFT 150mm may sell at $700-900. The same glass but with PQ may be twice as much used, and the premium for PQS over PQ is perhaps $100 or $200. You can find new/ used or demo prices at Eli Kurland, Hadley Chamberlain, and other places on the web too.

I own a 6006 with 80 Planar and a 150 Rolleigon. I personally don't use the 150 as much unless I'm doing portraiture or want a real tight shot with limited depth of field. The angle is too tight for my landscape work as I don't shoot in the mountians but in town. My personal choice for landscapes would be a 40mm (very expensive) or 50mm instead. Right now I'm considering a 60mm as a standard shooting lens....As noted the only exception are the PQS, (speed) lenses on the older bodies. Also, the 6006 backs cause the 6008 & newer bodies to default to 100 Iso. You have to use exp comp to get a higher or lower ISO.

• 1 month later...
You may want to have the same filter size on all your lenses. For this reason, I prefer to use Distagon 50 FLE, Distagon 60, Planar 80, Makro-Planar 120, Sonnar 150, and Sonnar 250. They all take the same Polarizer, compendium, Softar I and II, yellow, orange, and red filter. Although I have a Distagon 4/40, I hardly take it on location any more, since it is not compatible with the others, accessory-wise. Just my .o2 cent.