MF options for candids, portraits and landscapes, all on a budget?

shawn st. jean

I'm yet another poster looking for advice on making the switch from

35mm to MF. Spent the past few hours looking through some older

posts, but didnt see my specific question addressed anywhere.

First, I've really fallen for the 6x6 style - I just love the

square. Second, I'll be using the camera for candids (mostly of

children and pets), more formal portraits (both indoors and out), and

finally landscape/architecture subjects.

My question is, is there an affordable MF solution that can handle

all of these? By affordable, I really dont want to spend over

$1,000, and I totally expect to buy used equipment.

Sorry if this is a repeat of previously asked questions. I

appreciate any of your thoughts and comments.

-Shawn

Less than a $1000US? Well, you have TONS of choices if you're will to buy used gear.

How about complete Mamiya RB/RZ systems with a couple lenses and film backs? They'd be perfect for some of the things you describe. OK, they're not 6x6 (they're 6x7). But 6x6 film backs are available. And the 6x7 might work well for landscape work.

Or how about a Rolleiflex TLR (any model C, D, E, or F) for less than $500?

Or how about a Mamiya 6MF with 75mm lens. It's an RF medium format who's optics are incredible. Shop carefully and score something really fun.

Each of these suggestions will meet the need you describe. Better yet, wander down to a local camera store or photo swap and play with everything in sight. That way you'll get a sense of what you're looking at.

Shawn

My solution at first was a Mamiya M645 1000s but an erganomic nightmare to me so I sold it and bought a 4x5 camera wich is my tool of choice now but when I want to go light I use a Rolleicord V. Cost me $150 and the prints or stunning. I love the square too .

2nd hand Bronica can be had at fairly reasonable price. Even good used Hassy can be had at under 1K. So you got quite some choice. Rollei SL66 is a very fine camera but a little too heavy for candid.

While I know some would speak against it. But I really must say the Arax / Hartblei modified Kiev-88 can be had NEW at around 500 to 600 and the spare budget can be used to get some fine CZJ lens. I have couple of them and they work fine for me.

Check on eBay, there's seems to have quite a steady supply of them.

If you're stuck on the 6x6 try the mamiya c330 - interchangable lenses, prisms and a ton of stuff available - and pretty cheap, too. I've used it for portraits and landscapes (55mm for landscapes and the 135 or 180mm for portraits). Since, though, I bought my m645, my c330 just gathers dust - you can always crop square.

I recently put together a Hasselblad 501 with a film back and wonderful 50mm Distagon for $980. All of the equipment was in great shape. I've used the combo for about three weeks and I'm delighted with it. The photographs the camera produces are beautiful.

<a href="http://westfordcomp.com/hasselblad/dodge.html"> Hasselblad shots </a>

I had a Bronica GS-1 with a couple of lenses and really didn't like the feel of the camera. It simply felt heavy and slow to me.

I've got a 50 year old Rolleiflex TLR (6x6)that I also love. I bought it for $275. The Rollei limits you to one lens but it's a nice one.

Don't go below 6x6.

I absolutely have to recommend a TLR. In my opinion, nothing is better for candids or street shooting than these quirky "old fashioned" cameras. Half the time, people don't realize what you're doing with it, because its quiet and you don't bring it up to your eye to shoot, and the other half of the time people are fascinated with it and don't mind having their picture taken, whereas they might be more skittish of an common SLR.

<p>

Now, as for architecture, you really should be looking at a camera with either a shift tilt lens, or with swinging standards that can do that. There is no affordable MF solution that I know of. However, cheap 4X5 cameras are all over the place on ebay, and most of them can shift or tilt the lens, if not the film plane.

<p>

In the final analysis, I recommend a Mamiya TLR. Its interchangable lenses means you can do basically anything with it. It shoots the square image you love so much and most of them can switch between 120 and 220 film. See if you can find a C330 or C220, they're the latest and best, and least likely to require a CLA. To give you an idea of the cost, from KEH.com you can get a c220 body in excellent condition for 139, a bargin condition 55mm (ultra wide) lens for 205, an excellent condition 80mm lens (normal) for 149, and a bargin condition 180mm lens (long) for 165. With a grip for 23, you have a complete system for 681 dollars. On the other hand, systems on ebay are very very cheap, for example, <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15248&item=3830398850&rd=1">this</a> setup.

<p>

If you decide to go with a camera with tilt and shift, many of the 4X5 field cameras can take rollfilm holders. You'll want to ask in the LF section about that, though.

<p>

Good luck!

I'd also recommend that you look at TLRs, especially for candids. With $1000

as a budget, you can afford to consider a good Rolleiflex (the F series are the

place to start or an E2 if you can find one).

If you want to look at Mamiya, bear in mind that the chrome lenses for the

TLRs are no longer serviced by the main distributors so it's worth looking out

for the black ones. Also, the F and S bodies are superior to the earlier models.

My own solution has been a Rolleiflex 2.8E2 plus a Hasselblad 500c with the

80mm Planar and a two times converter. At some stage I'm going to treat

myself to a 50mm lens. If you take your time and keep your eyes open, you

could just manage this in the US on your budget. Alas, prices haven't yet

dropped that far in the UK.

Shawn,

There have been some good recomendations made above.

Choosing a MF system can be a bit baffling and isn't easily done merely by comparing specs. I thought I was quite ready for a RB67 until I really looked at one and noticed it looked/felt like a mail box (compared to what I was used to)

Personally I use a Rollei TLR for my MF work, I find it an excellent choice for the use you describe, but that doesn't mean you'll like the way it handles. Only way to know is to try some out.

There are a couple shots in my photo.net profile and a bunch more on my web site if you like to look. Working with a waist level viewfinder is a very different experience for portraits and candids. I highly recommend trying it.

Cheers,

oh yeah...

www.51North.com

Wow, thank you all so much for your responses - I didnt really expect so much feedback. There's an awful lot to digest here, but I think the obvious next step is to write down the various models that have been suggested here and find a local camera store where I can try them out and maybe rent some. Anyone know of any good stores to go to anywhere between Bethesda & Frederick Maryland?

Also, I looked at a lot of your websites - you all have very impressive portfolios - there's some really impressive work from the members of this forum.

Any more comments/ideas are definitely appreciated. Thanks again!

-Shawn

Do you take tight head shots? If yes, an SLR is easier to frame. But then, again, I used to own a Mamiya C330f and I captured some very nice close-ups of my children. But I sold the Mamiya because it weighed a ton and was just too heavy and bulky to carry. I'm now considering a Mamiya 645 system. A system with several lenses comes in around $1,000. Prices are too good to resist.

Yea, I stopped by a Penn Camera in Rockville and they told me the same thing. Found one small store in Bethesda that rents a Hasselblad for $55/day for the body & 80mm lens. Still looking around.

This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. Having only used 35MM cameras with autofocus capabilities, how hard do you think it will be to get used to a manual focus system, and how much of a challenge does it pose when taking shots of kids & pets? Thanks again for all the help.

• 1 month later...