How to store Li-ion batteries

ely_ias

I have a Canon 20D camera which uses a Li-ion battery (BP-511). If I

won't be using the camera for 3 months, 6 months, or 12 months... Is

there a "Best" way to store the rechargable batteries?

For example, if I won't be using them for 12 months should I fully

discharge the batteries before storage? Is the same true if I'm only

planning to store them for 3 months?

Thanks

Everything I've read suggests that these batteries should be stored at about 40% of full charge at 60 degrees (F). There isn't a lot of really good studies, but some experts suggests one can expect an overall service life of 2-3 years, though I'm sure some last longer and some not so long. We need much more reliable information on storage and service life from the manufacturers (who love to charge an outrageous sum for their batteries). I've had pretty good luck getting batteries from eBay for my Oly 5060, but as with OEM ones, have no idea of when they were made and how long they could be expected to last.

From what I understand lithium-ion batteries should never be fully discharged. I think some (most? all?) have circuitry built in to prevent a full discharge.

But remove the batteries from the camera. If you have a charger, it might be a good idea to pop them into the charger once a month or so.

Most rechargeable batteries lose their charge even when not in use.

I don't think it matters. There's a guy on ebay that is selling BP-511's, $8 for two of them. Shipping charges are about $4 for both, so figure $6 for each battery, delivered to your door. Like I said, I don't think it matters how you store them, just order new ones a week before you need them.

Yes, I did buy some, and they work great.

My two original Canon brand BP-511's lasted just over two years.