fix this facial glare?

The details are so blown that I doubt you can repair it as is and have a natural looking result. If it's a digital shot, you should go back to the RAW image in whatever conversion software you're using, and adjust the exposure until you have a normal histogram. If it's film, it may be possible to re-scan the negative for better exposure.

If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about....take it to a pro lab :-) It's a nice shot - I hope you can save it.

Here's one I took a quick stab at...

. Enlarge the picture to about 200 percent-- vary this for convience.

. Take 3X3 Sample of an area close to the glare. This will be the Foreground color.

. Using a Soft-Edged Brush in the Darken blend mode at about 40 percent Opacity brush

over the affected area to where it looks satisfactory to you.

Good luck.

If all you have is a JPEG, you can try an artistic fix.

If you have Photoshop, go into the Lab Mode, and use the color picker and sample a color that is near the blown out white.

Then create a new layer, and paint in that color over the white part.

Then switch back to sRGB mode.

This will let you fix a part of the highlights. The rest will take very careful work to fix.

So far the fixes have made the image look worse, IMO. Try adding a selective color layer, and add some black (and maybe a slight amount of yellow and magenta, too, to keep her skin tone looking healthy) to the white channel. Unlike some of the re-posts shown here, you don't want to totally kill the highlight aspect of that side of her face, but just tone it down a bit.

As you have seen from the attempts at "fixing" your problem, the results are less than

satisfactory. In reality, there is no substitute for a correctly exposed file, or negative.

When shooting people, you need to be aware of the light, and if you are shooting

professionally, you need to be prepared to provide your own "augmentation" of the light to

improve your chances. This photo could have been greatly improved by turning the horse

so that the sun did not directly hit the girls face, then using a reflector or fill flash, you

would balance the light on the face to get a nice tone relative to the highlight of the sun

hitting the hair from behind. While Photoshop can do many things, it is no substitute for

good technique in photography. The correct fix for this problem, is to not get it in the

first place.

McCluney Photo