What Telephoto lens for a N4004S

denny_kyser

Denny,

Any of the current AF lenses will allow all metering modes of the N4004s to function. This body uses command wheels to make shutter and aperture settings, so the G series will not be a problem.

This body is not VR capable so the VR functionality of the VR lenses will not operate.

Auto focus will not function with any of the AF-S or AF-I lenses.

As an example; with the 80-400mm VR lens, your friend would not lose any of the functionality built into his/her N4004s. All metering modes would function and AF would function. Since the body is not VR capable, the VR part of the lens would not function. This lens would in effect be an 80-400mm AF-D zoom.

As another example; with the 70-200mm AF-S VR lens, your friend would lose the AF functionality of his/her N4004s since it is not AF-S capable. He/She would still be able to make use of any of the metering modes built into the body. This lens would in effect be a 70-200mm manual focus zoom.

I hope this helps.

Vernon

I have used the 4004s, had 3 of them, four if you count the busted one I use for repair parts. Avoid any lens with "G" on it. They are not as good a lens as any the have the apeture ring on them.

You have to stay with Nikon AF with this body, in particular those made through the 1990's. The 70-300 f4-5.6 D ED is an excellent all purpose telephoto zoom. Of course any of the AF f2.8 lenses will work on it as well. However, anything that is AFS or has the newer VR stuff built, the camera will not function at all. There are more electrical contacts on the lens than in the camera and the camera will lock up and will flash error signals in the view finder. I know, I have tried this already.

Look on Ebay, Half.com, even Amazon and get the Hove-Fountain Books "Nikon F-401s and F-401" (N4004s and N4004 US Market)by Michael Huber. It will give you all you need to know about how to get the most of this camera. It also has a table in the back of compatible lenses and how they work with the camera, including which are fully AF and which ones you have to adjust manually.

Feel free to contact me about this camera, its a good one. I hope that I have helped you and your friend.

e-mail: flukecej@cox.net