about getting a 550ex speedlite with an off-camera cord and using it

to fire the 420 ex as a slave unit? The 550ex would be cheaper than

the MT-24 but are there other costs involved? Does the whole system

retain E-TTL or are other accessory cords needed to retain this on

the 420? If so, when it's all said and done, are the costs about the

same? I could really use some help from someone experienced with

this. If I go the two speedlite route, I will likely purchase the

dual flash bracket from Kirk Enterprises so that cost has to be

added. Thanks in advance for all responses.

I think your first purchase should be an off shoe cord. That allows much more flexibility in lighting angles for closeup and macro photography. It depends on what you shoot, but a good way of getting some fill in from a different angle to soften shadows is to use a sheet of paper mounted on a clipboard as a reflector - you probably need to have the camera on a tripod and use a wired remote release. One problem with using non macro flashes at macro distances is that the flash can be too powerful, but this is solved by fitting a diffuser. Adding a 550EX (or Sigma 500 EF DG Super) will allow you to fire the 420EX as a slave wirelessly, while retaining E-TTL and ratio control between the guns. Even with a flash bracket, it becomes quite an unwieldy setup for hand holding - it can be better to mount the slave on a lightweight tripod. The dedicated macro flash does improve handling for hand held shooting, and is probably best when using very short working distances - certainly very desirable with a 50 or 100 mm macro or MP-E 65 at close to maximum magnification. However, at longer distances you lose some flexibility of lighting angles, at least unless you use it as a master to trigger your 420 EX.

Mark, thanks for the answer. I do have an off shoe cord that I currently use with the 420ex and a home made macro bracket similar to the one John Shaw describes in his books. Works well with one flash. The question for me now is whether to purchase a 550ex to use as a main light and using it to fire the 420ex as a slave. I don't know where I thought I read that the 420 when fired as a slave would not retain it's E-TTL properties so I was concerned it would fire at equal strength as the 550ex and I want to shoot it at less power than 550. From your post, what I read or perhaps interpreted about the 420 not retaining E-TTL was incorrect. When shooting macro with one light, I typically handhold the camera. If I were to use dual flash, I would likely shoot off a tripod, depending on the situation. The 180mm gives me good working distance.

When you set the 550EX to Master (there is a tiny 3-position switch on the back of the hot shoe marked OFF, MASTEr and SLAVE), you can adjust all the parameters by repeatedly pressing the SEL/SET button and the +/_ button. You can turn the RATIO on or off. When ON is selected, you can then select an A:B ratio from 8:1 to 1:8. When OFF is selected, the ratio is 1:1.