cokin 173

h poggy

Hello,

I have a question regarding filters, in particular the Cokin

173 blue/yellow filter that is so frequently mentioned in the book

"Canadian Landscapes" by Daryl Benson and Dale Wilson.

1). Do other landscape photographers use this filter and like it as

much as the authors of this book?

2). Is it correct that this filter is more than a polarizing filter

with an 81 series filter?

3). I own a filter system by Lee. Are these systems interchangeable?

4). Does anyone know of another maker of a similar filter that would

work on a Lee system or mount on Nikon series lenses?

Hans,

I have had this filter for a few years, and when I first got it, I used it in many situations. Now, I rarely even take it at all.

The effect, depending upon the orientation of the filter (at the extremes) is very pronounced, with either a bright yellow or brilliant blue cast to the reflective surfaces. Obviously, sometimes this works, but frankly, most times it just seems too much. As another response confirmed, it is certainly not just a warming filer with a polarizer.

Benson certainly has the knack of when and how to use it, but (and I have to agree with the above comment) that I think he uses it more that I would. His often-stated philosophy is that the use of any filter (or combination of filters) is valid to create the art.

It is possible to use the 173 judiciously (by not turning it to the extreme positions), and depending upon the scene, you can get some very nice effects. My advice would be to think about how much of your photography you want to appear as obviously manipulated. If you like this type of image, go for it, you will certainly enjoy the 173. If, on the other hand, you like a subtler approach, maybe spend the money on a good set of split neutral density filters (for example).

Hans :

I too have had this filter for a number of years and Simon's experience is very similar to my own. It only works well in a limited number of situations, but when it does, it can produce some truly amazing effects. Let me explain how it is different than a warming filter plus polarizer. As you rotate it, in one direction the scene is given an overall yellow or warm color cast, in the opposite direction, it gives a blue or cool color cast. But whatever parts of the scene that the polrizer is removing glare(like on the surface of water, wet vegetation, etc)the opposite color is added to the polarized area. For example I used this filter on an overcast day at Lower Falls of the Yellowstone, and oriented the filter to yellow, which acted like an 81A filter to warm up the yellow rocks in the canyon. However the water in the river was recorded a deep rich blue, where a shot I took of the same scene without the Blue/Yellow filter the water was a dull green blue color. If I used just a warming polarizer, I would'nt have got the blue in the river. I've also had some success with this filter in red rock country. At Arches last year I shot the same scene with the 173 filter and again with a Moose filter, which is an 81A warming filter and polrizing filter combined into one. The 81A/polarizer warmed up the red rock, but took some of the pop out of the blue sky. The 173 filter had almost the same effect on the red rock, but kept the sky a deeper rich blue. I also find it works well on some sunrise scenes where there is low lying fog or mist and some blue sky in the scene. The filter can add a warm glow to the fog, while making the blue sky saturated. With that said, I agree with Todd that this filter can be easily overused, and I'd say that 90% of the time it would produce an un-natural looking scene. But over time I've learned to recognize where it might work, and when it does the results can be spectacular.

Ed McGuirk<div>0027An-7724584.jpg.5849c4b923d56494230b920df11a73a2.jpg</div>

It sounds like this filter has interesting yet limited uses. However, I do not believe that the Cokin 173 can be adapted to fit a Lee filter system. Does anyone know how to adapt it or know of an equivalent filter from another manufacturer that would work.

Hans, you can adapt the 173 for the Lee system. I used a large semi rigid margarine tub lid (approx 16") cut to a square the inside dimension of the Lee filter holder slots. Centre precisely the front of the 173(cokin logo/173#)on top of your square, draw around the edge, then cut out the piece with a box cutter. The frame should quite snugly butt up agains't the original cokin slots, if you wish epoxy it in place. Not pretty, but it works.

David Crossley/Crossley Photography.

www.davidcrossley.com