NOOKY question

r s

I got a NOOKY close-up adapter for my Elmar 50/3.5 and got some initial

questions about how to use it as it didn't come with any instructions.

<br><br>

What I've done and been able to google my way to is the following:

<br>

1) Screwed the NOOKY adapter into my III(F),<br>

2) Fully collapsed my Elmar and screwed it into the adapter by the rear flanges,<br>

3) The glass on the NOOKY aligns infront of the rangefinder window and the

parallax compensation frame aligns infront of the window next to it.

<br><br>

Now, assuming that I haven't done anything wrong with the assembly - should the

Elmar be set at infinity focus before using it - or does it not matter?

<br><br>It looks like a pretty fun litte contraption and I'm looking forward to

trying it out this week.

If you got it fitted OK, then the inf. setting isnt infinity any more anyway. It should give you focus between (I forget exactly) around 50cm to 1 metre. I don't know what anybody else thinks, but I think if I wanted focusing accuracy, I would probably want to work at f8 or smaller. Lenses back then varied in focal length a bit more, and the Nooky was one size fits all.

Hi Rich,

>>should the Elmar be set at infinity focus before using it?

From the question ask, I reckon that you may not have fully understood step 2).

Quote: <<2) Fully collapsed my Elmar and screwed it into the adapter by the rear flanges,>>

When fully collapsed, the Elmar lens tube must be de-coupled from its focusing ring already and hence the question of whether Elmar should be sedt at infinity focus is non issue.

Once mounted properly as per the 3 steps you mentioned, you can focus this close-up setup by a focusing lever on the NOOKY itself from 9 o'clock position (1:17.5) to about 2 o'clock position (1:6.5), which is about 1 foot.

It is quite a fun and cool looking setup. Just that the rangefinder spot will become quite dim and fuzzy as a result and that makes accurate focusing a challenge.

Enjoy!

YOL

Yes, a useful contraption! Attached herewith is a copy of the 1936

Leitz instruction leaflet for the NOOKY. The advice given in the

text on the necessity of using only the centre of the rangefinder

field is very important. I've found it convenient to move the

camera to and fro until the rangefinder images merge, then

release the shutter.<div>00ISjM-33005984.jpg.4a29ae42237dfd53e0d6719c7013bf44.jpg</div>

John, thanks for posting the instruction pages.

<br>I agree, it took me just a few shots to realize that it was much easier to focus with by moving the camera instead of the focusing knob.

<br>Looking at the negatives I just got back from today's test roll it seems to work pretty well.

It's not quite as simple as moving the camera backwards and forwards to find focus.

Rotating the Nooky barrel increases or decreases the focal distance and thus the size of the subject in the frame so you can decide how close up you want to get. I find it has a pretty useful range and the Elmar works well even at close distances.

The cost back in the 1930s was pretty astonishing as ?5 was considering more than the average weekly wage and you could buy whole camera outfits for less.