Flexbody Stray Light Protection Mask

anthonyw.patane

I recently purchased a used Flexbody and it appeared to come with a stray light

protection mask fitted to the rear, but the more I looked at it, the more it

didn't look like the one in the manual. It looks more like a 4X5 format mask

(without the markings; did they make format masks without markings?). I am

wondering what the stray light protection mask should like it and if it is

absolutely necessary to have if you are not using any format mask? If somebody

has a picture of theirs that they could share, it would be helpful.

My second question is that, if it is necessary, where in the world would I find

one of these??? Thanks in advance.

Tony

The stray light protection slide looks exactly like the 10 degree or 20 degree slide without a piece of glass in its centre. It's only function is to seal up the slot in the side of the Ground Glass Screen Adapter when neither a 10 degree nor 20 degree slide is required. If you do not have it, you may block stray light with a piece of light-proof adhesive tape over the slot in order that you may see the image on the ground glass screen with better contrast. Or wedge a piece of cardboard in it.

It has no impact on the image because you need to remove the ground glass screen adapter to mount your film magazine or digital back anyway.

Tony

Check the FlexBody manual. FlexBody components: 21. Stray Light Protection Mask. Go to FlexBodu diagram and check the rear. You will see the mask already built in.

Also, check this description.

Accessories: 1. Stray Light Protection Mask. Used to prevent stray light from dulling the image when large amounts of shift and/or tilt are put into effect. (supplied already fitted to rear standard)

Go to this link and download the PDF manual. It is free.

http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HW/HWVSys.aspx

Nikola

Tony, there's no such thing as a stray light protection mask with the Flexbody, just a stray light protection slide.

There's a 4x5cm mask that clips into the focusing screen assembley. It's supposed to go in with the engraved side facing out, but it's possible to fit it the wrong way around with the plain side out.

The 4x5 mask is normally used when shifting the lens as shifting causes vignetting (significantly more with some lenses than others) so you have to crop some of the frame. I use a Flexbody with a 37mm x 49mm digital back so I leave the 4x5 mask in all the time and the camera works like a mini view camera.

I'd add that the Flexbody manual isn't a model of clarity! I remember when I first got mine there was a period of trial and error before I got everything sorted out, but stick with it because the Flexbody is a suberb camera that performas extremely well.

I use it with a digital back and the 40mm IF, 60mm, 100mm, and 120mm Macro lenses for interior architectural photography where a full sized view camera would be a little bulky, it's a terrific combination.

Why does the manual state then that when fitting a format mask such as the 4X5, to "remove the stray light mask from the recess in the rear standard. Then fit the format mask into the same recess with the smooth, inscription side facing you." According the manual, there is such a thing as a stray light protection mask...and it is removable. I'm just wondering what it looks like, as I have a 6X3 format mask and another one that also fits into the recess on the rear standard, but looks like a 4X5 mask. confused....

Yes, Tony the mask exists. I have just checked my Flexbody and it is there and removable. It is approx. 55x55mm frame, about 1mm wide, 'U' shaped that fits in the rear standard groove. In the midle of eather ehternal sides of the frame, the frame is a tad wider, to snag the frame into the groove.

Nikola

Gary,<br><br>The FlexBody always had such a mask. See number "1" in the 'items included' picture next to the Quick reference table on page 1 of the PDF file of the manual you can download <a href="http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HW/HWVSys.aspx" target=_blank">here</a>.<br>It is also named in the "Accessories" section on page 1 of the manual (page 6 in the PDF file).<br>Like the manual says, it comes fitted to the FlexBody, not as a separate part. So you may not notice it's there.

QG, the pdf manual you give as a link is different (and much more clearly written!) compared to the manual that came with my Flexbody, I've checked again and there's absolutely no reference to a stray light mask in mine.

Perhaps I've got an early version of the Flexbody and later on Hasselblad noticed stray light problems and introduced the mask as a solution? I've never had a problem in the thousands of exposures I've made with the Flexbody, but maybe that's because I always use the 4x5 mask with a digital back.

There should be two masks:

1. Description from PDF manual:

"Used to prevent stray light from dulling the image when a large amount of shift and/or tilt are put into effect. (Supplied already fitted to rear standard)."

2: Description from PDF manual:

"Format mask 4x5cm. Used both as a compositional aid and as a film mask to avoid vignetting. It is advicable to make sure that the mask has been inserted when the shift facility is to be used and especially when using lenses of focal lengths from 40mm 60mm, inclusive".

Take the first mask and put it in a drawer somewhere. You don't need it. Then take the second mask and put it in a drawer somewhere because you don't need that one either. :)

Sorry if this should be the same as in the link above. I'm a little pressed for time so I haven't checked it.

• 6 months later...

Flexbody always has the stray light protection mask. One of the above poster said his manual looks different. It's not possible.

Stray light protection mask must be put on if one need to use it full movement.

It seems Hasselblad never provide the protefction mask as a seperate item, even for damage replacement. So be careful when remove it. The 6x6 protection mask is particularly thin. It can be easily destroyed if one dropped it and step on it.

The 4x5 format mask can be used to replace the 6x6 mask if not shooting the 6x6 format. It could be particularly useful when shooting with digital back.

• 2 years later...

<p>I’m bringing up this old thread because I just bought a Flexbody, and did not have a Stray Light Protection Mask included with it when purchased. After reading the manual on-line, which references this mask, I had expected one in the kit. <br>

My Flexbody is of 1996 vintage, and the manual that came with it is dated 1995. It is not the same manual that is referred to earlier in this thread. As others indicated, this version of the manual makes no mention of the Stray Light Protection Mask. On the cover of the manual, it refers to the camera as the “Flexbody CP.” My Flexbody has the level located on the top of the rise/fall (aka slide) knob, not on the focusing screen. <br>

After reading through this thread, and both versions of the manual, here’s my speculation as to why some cameras do not have the mask and why one version of the manual does not mention the mask: I think that Hasselblad originally included the mask, but later discontinued it as unnecessary. Assuming the manual from the historical society link is an earlier one, this would explain why it does not appear in the 1995 manual. Also, my 501cm camera has the same recess in the back as the Flexbody. In the 501cm, it would be used for the 645 and 3x6 masks, in a similar fashion as the 4x5 mask would be used in the Flexbody. There are no stray light problems in my 501cm. Finally, I have two catalogs (one is 2001, the other is undated, but probably 2002), neither of which lists this mask among the components that are supplied with the Flexbody. <br>

I hope this is useful. </p>

• 2 years later...
<p>Continuing the saga of the Flexbody and Flexbody CP discussion here, having looked back at old catalogues included on the DVD with Rick Nordin's Hasselblad Compendium, the first I can find to feature the Flexbody CP is from 1996. My Flexbody CP camera is from that year and didn't come with the case, an L connector or the stray light protection mask, this is reflected in the catalogue, the photo in the 1996 catalogue appears to be of a prototype, my CP has the spirit level on the shift winder and has a standard rear cover rather than the control cover that was introduced in 1997. The 1997 catalogue shows the Flexbody which now comes with a case, L connector, rear control cover and the stray light protection mask, the spirit level has moved from the camera to the viewing screen. Fast forward to 2001 and the catalogue includes all the 1997 accessories except for the stray light protection mask! I'm guessing that on that basis I don't need one! </p>