Eyeglass scratch protection for M3

ben z

Got an M3 a short while ago and needed to deal with the metal eyepiece

so it would not scratch my plastic eyeglasses (which are not $40

Costco single-vision ones, but $300 Varilux progressives).

One possible solution was those stick-on donuts resembling Dr. Scholls

corn plasters. Cameraquest sells one that looks like it was made from

body covering leatherette and Aki Asahi sells one made from suede.

Nevermind the esthetics, I thought the suede one probably would pick

up particles of dirt and scratch my glasses, and I doubted either one

would withstand rubbing against my clothing or the camera bag without

coming off.

Then there were those plastic snap-on rings DAG sells, my friend has

one and they are hard plastic and might be kind to glass eyeglasses

but mine are plastic and I wasn't sure which was the harder and not

willing to risk my glasses to find out.

I've heard that DAG can swap the M3 eyepiece lens into the M6 rubber

eyepiece. (Even one for a .85x M6 isn't exactly right to use on an

M3). But I'd first have to buy one ($80 from NJ) and then pay DAG to

do the swap. Not what I wanted for a $750 "bargain" I don't intend to

use that much.

Of course I could glob on some silicone, but first I don't trust that

I could make a neat, uniform job of it, and second I know from past

experience with it that silicone tears and peels off rather easily

such as after rubbing against the inside of the camera bag or against

clothing.

So I scoured around and located a correction diopter, of the recent

type that is very flat and is rubber clad. I didn't care what power

it was. Laid it down and took a center punch to the glass, then

carefully removed all the pieces remaining around the rim. Put a tiny

drop of clear nail polish on the threads with a toothpick and screwed

it down finger tight. It works really well, should be the most

durable of any solution, and ok, now it's time to bring back the issue

of esthetics: it looks better than the others too. The used diopter

cost me $25, which considering how durable and elegant a solution it

is, compares favorably to the rest in terms of price also.

If you have an earlier M and want an eyepiece protector, this might be

an option you could consider, especially if yours is an M3 which can't

just be replaced by an M6 eyepiece.

One note of caution, if you're buying that used diopter mail-order,

make certain it's the current style, which has rubber cladding. The

older types were metal and even had little saw teeth around the edges!

Lutz,

The SCOOP is hard rubber, the Bumper is soft rubber that folds forward to form about the

same diameter circle as the SCOOP does. So they are somewhat different animals, with the

SCOOP of course being significantly more cost-effective :-).

I have both and use the SCOOP on my M6 all the time, but I don't wear glasses either.

1) Two layers of black masking tape (available at art supply stores) is cheap and affective-this is what I used on my M-2.

2) Real 'glass' specs-mine are graduated bifocals with Zeiss glass lenses and have survived two years of picture snapping without scratching. Hard coated plastic lenses have ALWAYS shown scratches within a few months of use no matter what the cost. The Zeiss glass is no more expensive than the best plastic lenses (in Toronto) and come with a breakage warranty good anywhere in the world.

Lutz, Rolfe: Thanks but those snap-on rubber grommets snap off easily, like when they rub against clothing or taking out of the camera bag, I know I've used similar things before. I'm not looking for something to go chasing as it rolls along the ground.

Spider: As I explained, an M6 eyepiece won't work on an M3, the lens is wrong. Not even the one for the .85x. Someone has to punch out the lens from both eyepieces and install the M3 lens into the M6 eyepiece. Break the M3 lens in the process and you're really sunk.

Victor: AFAIK those Zeiss progressive lenses are not available in the US, my nephew who lives in Detroit had to go over to Ontario to get his, and they cost him $600 plus the travel. I see fine through my Varilux and $300 difference plus the cost of a trip to Canada is more than I consider economically sensible in order to be able to use tape on my M3 versus $25 for a correction diopter with the glass removed.

I am glad everyone is happy with their own personal solutions to the eyeglass scratch problem, as I am with mine.

Seriously though ... RadioShack sells these small neoprene rubber covers for the ear buds that are used with CD, cassette and MP3 players. I was thinking that they might be the correct size. Of course, you still need to attach them. I think a small amount of silicone rubber smeared on one side would hold it securely to the M3 eye piece.

Yes, cameaquest sells donut-shaped cutouts from stock self-adhesive camera body vinyl for $15 each or 2/$20. For $25, I got a disc of machined aluminum, threaded to fit the M eyepiece, anodised black and clad in practically indestructible rubber. For $0.17-$15 you can get stick-on, glue-on, snap-on, tape-on juryrigged homemade-looking that may not stand up to use; or for $25 you can get a beautifully-made piece of OEM Leica equipment that threads into place and will last the lifetime of the camera. I would have thought that anyone who pays hundreds of dollars for a camera would want to go an extra $10 for something that doesn't look like homebrew rigging, but obviously I am the only one at least on this forum.

I used "Liquid Electrical Tape" which can be purchased at most hardware stores. It comes in black and can be painted on the ring around the eyepiece. It dries semi-hard and won't peel like silicone. I applied two coats and it is hard to notice. Mine has stayed on my M2 for 2 years so far. Also very useful for repairing small areas of vulcanite.

Ok, that's the first juryrig that sounds like it's got potential. I've never seen or heard of it, I'll have to check at Home Depot. There aren't any independent hardware stores left around here, perhaps in the spring when we go north I'll veer off into some small towns and find some. Although, for the vulcanite I've got a replacement cover kit from Asahi for $20 and if mine starts to chip I'm just going to recover the whole camera and be done with it, rather than spending the same time in small increments patching it up.

Ben, compared to how much time you have been spending on this thread putting down sensible advice given, any of the various solutions offered so far is a real bargain. Oh, and BTW, my SCOOPs have been staying on on three well used bodies for years now, believe me. Cheers.

Lutz, don't worry I'm not going into business making diopters into scratch protectors. Your aftermarket empire is safe : ) And I'm sorry if I in any way hurt your feelings about your little widget. I'm sure you spent many hours designing and inventing it, and after all all I did was punch the glass out of a Leica diopter which took me 30 seconds. If anybody else thought I was putting their methods down by calling them homebrews and juryrigs, I apologize. That's what they are, but there's no shame in that. I would never buy a new diopter for $75 and knock the lens out of it, I'd surely use one of those other solutions myself, perhaps even yours. As to the time I spent on this thread, I'm semi-retired, the weather here sucks right now, I have a head cold, and PN alerts me every time someone responds...if it's any of your business.

Ben... good advice. Probably wouldn't have thought of it, but sounds like the best solution as long as you can find a cheap diopter. Lutz's products are great options for those of us (like me) who wouldn't put this kind of thought into the problem (my scratched glasses can attest to that), but I have to say, yours sounds like it would look better and work the same.