Graphire or Intuos? NEED HELP?

am plannin to buy a wacom tablet.

it would be used to retouch, edit and make collages of high res

images.

it would also be used for some cell animation.

i know that it has to be a wacom.

but which one?

Graphire or Intuos?

Intuos is costly. Therefore, for timebeing i think graphire shud be a

nice opt. But will i have to compromise on anything with a Graphire.

what should one look for when buying a tablet?

am a complete novice in matters of Graphic Tablets.

Please enlighten me.

• 1 month later...

Dragging up an old thread, but considering how long it took me to mull over purchasing my first tablet, you never know (I actually thought about it for around 3 months, since as a person of limited funds for such indulgences, it was a big decision)... I hope this isn't found offensive, but helpful instead!

I have an old Graphire II 4x5 (getting on in its years, but still functional) which serves as a portable device. It's decent, and small enough to carry around with me.

I do a lot of digital painting, which means I am very exacting when it comes to Photoshop and my choice of tools. I have recently become the very happy owner of a shiny new Intuos3 9x12 tablet. The disadvantage to this is that the overall size is HUGE, but it just sits on my desk.

If you want something with the ability to be carried and great versatility, I recommend the Intuos3 4x5. The disadvantage, of course, is the $220.00 price tag. If you're not quite so vigorous with the tools, then a Graphire III should be fine. If you're working with big images, though, I recommend splurging on the 6x8 model. I find that I often have difficulty with my stylus traveling out of the drawing area on my 4x5.

In spite of the Intuos3's superiority, the Graphire III is by no means a poor choice, and it's certainly a much more affordable option. I'd recommend going to the Wacom website (www.wacom.com) and checking out the information they have there.

If you decide to go with an Intuos but the price is a bit hefty, you may want to consider buying a refurbished tablet through the Wacom website. They have both Intuos2 and Intuos3 models available. (A refurbished Intuos3 4x5 has a tag of $219.95.)

One thing you should definitely consider when it comes to choosing a tablet is your stroke tightness and size in large areas. My strokes are long and loose, which means I need more space to effectively finish a stroke. My recommendation for figuring that out? Take some cardboard or greyboard and cut it to 4x5, 6x8, 9x12 sizes, etc. Then take a pen and just make strokes on each one. Choose which ones fits you the best.

Remember that in spite of the initial expense, a good tablet is an investment that is very worthwhile, and will more than pay for itself in a short time if you use it proficiently.