2x EOS tele extender, new v. old

bob stewart jacksonville

Everything I have read leads me to believe the new converter was designed primarily as an update for improved weather sealing. As far as image quality I have not seen any reviews that speak of a difference new to old. If you don't need the improved O rings save some money and get the older version. I have one that I use extensivly with a 300 2.8 IS and the results are very impressive.

Substantial advantage is debatable? There is an improvement in the optics, but how much better is subjective. I compared many sequential test shots taken first with one and then the other while mated to my 300/2.8. It was enought for me. I am selling my old and staying with the new.

Whether the additional cost of the new extender is worth it for you is a personal decision. I used to use the 2x quite extensively with my 300/2.8 to get a poor man's 600. Now that I have the 600/4, the 2x is rarely used. (Personally I would not even consider a 2x converter unless you plan on using it on a prime of 300 or longer, or temporarily use it on a lens to convince youself you want to spend the $$ to get a long prime.)

To clarify Jay's response, you don't need an extension tube to stack TCs anymore.

As Bob noted, you'll be hard-pressed to see a difference between the old and new TCs. Light fall-off at wide-open apertures is supposedly lessened, as are internal reflections/flare, producing slightly better contrast. Bob's tested them, though, and couldn't see it, so YMMV.

I have used the both extensively with the 600/f4 IS. I really don't see a difference regarding contrast or resolution, but the newer 2x is absolutely superior as far as light falloff in the corners is concerned. The newer model has a recessed rear element which greatly reduces that problem. If you plan to use a 2x at nearly wide-opened apertures against a clear sky background, then the newer model is definitely worth the extra money. If you want to use a 2x for increased magnification in stopped-down macro shots, then find a good deal on the older model.

Dear Bob

The New on works ALOT better than the OLD one by far if you or any-one

else out there dosen't beleave this FACT why are all the GOOD photographer's out there that use CANON equipment are now using the

NEW EF 2x over the OLD EF 2x ( why spend money on new photo equipment

when you don't need it )

Gary S Meredith

This is at least the second thread on this topic. I don't use Canon and have no idea whether their new 2x TC is "better" ("slightly better" or "significantly better") than the old one. If one is planning to buy or upgrade, IMO the best way is to test it yourself and make your own decisions. The new one certainly has the advantage of a new optical design so that you can stack extenders together without having to put an extension tube in between. But some people are so picky about image quality that they prefer not to use 2x convertors often, let alone stacked convertors; to them, the ability to stack is moot. Also, before the new Canon 2x TCs became available, Canon users were not exactly complaining about the quality of the old ones. If the old ones were very good already, how much room there is for further improvement? Think about that.

In addition to being weather-sealed and having improved internal flocking, the 2x was redesigned optically.

George Lepp published a test of the new TCs recently and found a "small but perceptible" improvement with the new converter. Whether it's enough to warrant an upgrade or not should be determined by your own investigation. (I don't own it, just passing along the published findings.)

I don't photograph test charts. I also don't typically photograph architecture with a 2x extender. So questions of slight softness at the edges are of no practical value to me, as long as the critter is sharp. And the critters are sharp with the old 2x, at least when used with the shorter focal lengths that I have...70-200 f/2.8 and 300 f/4 IS.

You asked if there was a "substantial advantage." I'd say no. Is there a marginal incremental advantage? Probably.

The fact that many photographers are using the new extenders instead of the old ones doesn't mean the new ones are better. Let stay real. Most of us are men and most men just like to have new toys. If there is a new toy, we want to have it. Certainly if some people claim it would be better. Who wants to show up at a photography seminar with the old one? You might be laughed at. Or at least considered not to be the professional you want to be.

Sometimes I have the feeling that many photographers are more concerend about image (I mean their own personal image. Not image as in picture) than just getting good results. Fortunately money can't buy good results. I have seen many people trade in their 600/4 when the IS version came out. Now again their 70~200/2.8 when the awfully expensive IS version came. They might also swap their 17~35 fot the 16~35. Do their results improve? I doubt it.

Equipment can help. I have tested the EF 500/4.0L IS with both the new converters, and they perform very well. But no equipment or money can replace skills.

"<em>Dear Bob The New on works ALOT better than the OLD one by far if you or any-one else out there dosen't beleave this FACT why are all the

GOOD photographer's out there that use CANON equipment are now using the NEW EF 2x over the OLD EF 2x ( why spend money on new

photo equipment when you don't need it )</em>"

<p>

Beats the hell out of me. Lots of people buy whatever is new and whatever is claimed to be better. Advertising works. Personally, I believe my own eyes and my own tests before I believe anything anyone else tells me. If it works for you, great. For me buying the 2x II would have been a waste of money. If it's your money you can spend it on whatever you want.

<p>

People say the Canon 100-400L IS is razor sharp at 400mm. Maybe their's is. The one I tested wasn't. It was OK but inferior to my 300/4L with a 1.4xTC on it. Based on my tests, the cost of the lens, the overall performance and the lenses I already own, I decided it wasn't the lens for me. Lots of people love it and that's great for them.

<p>

People tell me the 75-300 IS lens is a piece of **** and not worth owning. I have one and I like it. No, it's not razor sharp at 300mm either, but then again I don't expect it to be. It fills a particular need for me and that's all that counts.

<p>

I try not to get caught up in "everybody else says it's great" hype if I can avoid it.

• 2 weeks later...

One can add about a 2mm spacer to the OLD Canon 2x converter and you can then use it stacked with a 1.4x converter. It will still focus to infinity and you will not lose any electrical connections.

You will also have to add a modified baffle. The 2mm thick spacer goes inbetween the exsisting mount and the 2x TC's body. See my picture. If you ask me Canon made the first 2xTC non stackable on purpose. Then they came out with this new one so people would buy more things. They should have made the first one stackable too.

peace, rolland<div>0021C6-7404684.thumb.JPG.5d51a05017639a8b6b915078f03ebe19.JPG</div>