ICE for professional use?

Just a question for the profs: Are you scanning with ICE on or off?

At first it seems to me that it makes the picture "cheaper", so I

made all in Photoshop. But now I see that this is a lot a lot of

work... *sweat*

What is the professional way (for optimal picture quality)? What are

youre techniques to "fight" with the dust (from the beginning)? ;-)

Nice Greetings

Nathaniel

Hi Marcos,

Whatever you've read concerning the 5400 and Vuescan must be very dated. Vuescan has worked well with the 5400 (including ICE) since at least last November. I'm not sure what the absolute most current version of Vuescan is....I think I'm using version 8.10 (or something close to that). Of course, with the Pro license you get unlimited free updates, and I'm often an update or two behind!

Best wishes,

David

Using ICE on Normal mode should cause virtually no loss of sharpness. Using Fine mode will soften your image some but probably not noticable at normal print sizes. My preference is to leave ICE on in Normal mode. I would only use Fine mode for a really bad slide but I have encountered that situation.

I scan professionally and always recommend ICE to my customers. ICE is a wonderful technology that works extremely good. If you have it I would use it! Of course you should still clean the film as much as possible before the scan, ICE usually takes care of the rest. Take a look at my <a href="http://www.pearsonimaging.com/gallery.html" target="_blank">customer galleries</a> to see for yourself, all the images there are ICE scans and they have not been sharpened. <br>

<br>

Carl Pearson<br>

<a href="http://www.pearsonimaging.com" target="_blank">www.pearsonimaging.com</a></p>