yinkamd

I have a Canon Elan 7 with 2 lenses. The 28-105 and the 75-300. I

want to get into macro...bees, insects, flowers etc. I would like to

purchase a close up adaptor. Any suggestions? I would prefer

something cheap. I am just a beginner, and would really appreciate

any constructive comments.

Will I be able to get good close ups?

Thanks!

The Phoenix/Cosina/Vivitar 100mm f/3.5 macro lens (same lens with different names) is a low cost ($150) way to get into macro. I bought a used one for $60 on www.ebay.com. Image quality is very good, but the lens build quality feels poor, and autofocus is slow.

You can get a set of single element closeup adapter lenses to fit the zooms for much less, but the resulting image quality will be poor. Nikon sells some double element closeup adapter lenses that will give you much better results for more money, but you will also have to buy a filter ring size adapter to make them fit. Canon's double element closeup adapter lenses (250D for the 28-105 & 500D for the 75-300) are about twice the Nikon price, but fit directly on your lenses.

Here is two low cost Macro solutions.

#1 For your EF28-105, I believe the filter size is 58mm. You can get a +2 B+W single element close-up lens for $21 at Adorama or a Canon 250D for $81. With the +2 close up and 105mm, you should be able to get 1:1.88 with a film body. For reference, Canon's EF50mm/f2.5 macro is 1:2 and EF100mm macro is 1:1.

#2 Buy a cheap FD/50mm f3.5 at ebay. They go for arround $50 at ebay and less if you are lucky. You will need a FD to EF adaptor which Adorama also sell at a reasonable price. For best result, you will need to remove the cheap optical element in the FD-EOS adaptor. You will lost infinity focus if you do that but you don't need it for macro.

To get to Adorama, go to the home of photo.net and press the icon top-right corner. I would also start off with a cheap B+W close up and see if macro is for you first.

Robert's suggestion of extension tubes is one possibility. I have never used the

Vivitar/Pheonix Macro but people seem happy with it for the price. Bob Atkin's has a

brief discussion of macro options and recommends diopters. Extension tubes contain

no optics and so don't degrade image quality (not entirely true but near enough) but

they do cost you light. This makes the viewfinder image dim and manual focussing

harder (especially with cheaper cameras which tend to have dimmer viewfinders). It

simultaneously makes AF harder for the camera. AF is very hit or miss in

macro photography. Diopters may degrade image quality but they don't cost light.

My advice would be to buy a cheap set of Hoya single element diopters and play

around. They should be very cheap. They degrade image quality noticeably but not

too much for 4x6 prints or web photos. This is the cheapest option.

If you really get into it then you can buy a serious dedicated macro or expensive two

element diopter.

Dear Tommy Lee,

Thanks for your answer. I just borrowed a Canon 250D dual element close up lens attachment. It helps. I would like to reverse an old Canon FD 50 mm 1.8 lens. I called adorama about the reversal ring. They said it will not work with a Canon EOS. Do you know where or how I can get a lens reversal ring adaptor that I can use with my Elan EOS?

Thanks!

Any other suggestions for good cheap macro solutions? I just love the bee, fly and flower close ups that some people have demonstrated on here.