Rolleiflex prism finder

sjauch

I have a Rolleiflex T and am looking to get a prism finder for it. I

was wondering if any of the rolleiflex prisms will fit this

particular camera. Also, what is the going rate for something like

this? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Steve

No, that camera does not acept the prism finder. The last E series and F series cameras take the prism. By the way, have you looked through a camera with the prism finder? I found it heavy, dark, and hard to focus. Also, the controls that are very nicely laid out for waste level shooting on the Rollei TLR, are not confortable to work at eye level. Then you need the pistal grip, etc. I have an F series camera and never bought the prism.

The prism should cost around $200 depending on condition. A "factory mint" one might

go for $275. If your Rollei T has a removeable hood which slides back and off by

depressing two buttons on the sides, it should take the prism. You will need a Maxwell

Viewing Screen to brighten up the image. It will cost about $120 and you can easily

install it yourself. It is 4x to 5x brighter than the Rollei factory screen and you can get it

with a split image rangefinder in the center (which I recommend if using the prism). The

Maxwell Screen and the Rolleigrip are really necessities when using the prism and with

these the prism works quite well. I have this setup on a 2.8F.

The advice above is correct.

Rollei prisms are prone to separation problems in the internal glass elements. The extent of separation (and condition of the metal housing, the condition of the zippered leather case, etc.) tend to determine the price. I gladly paid $300 for one that was nearly perfect, yet I confess I have not used it once since purchasing it.

The Rollei is elegantly balanced, and is smaller and lighter than the Mamiya C330 (just for comparison). The prism, though potentially useful when working at eye level on a tripod (especially since the image is no longer reversed right-to-left as it is in the waist-level finder), nevertheless destroys the weight and balance of the Rollei when used hand-held, and it's hard to imagine carrying the Rollei on a strap around one's neck with the prism attached, although there are those who do. I have the pistol grip for the Rollei as well and, in truth, I have never used it either.

And while I cannot comment on the difference between using the original screen and one of the replacements with the Rollei prism, it is only because replacing the original screen was the first thing I had done when I purchased my 2.8F 12/24.

My advice is to save the money you would have spent on a prism and put it towards the best Rollei you can afford.

Happy shooting!

Mark Hubbard

Eureka, CA