novice scanner question

Software for what? If you have a Mac or PC when you connect your camera it will show up like any other storage device and you can drag and drop images to your computer with ease. The 5400 (I have it) only uses USB1.1 If you PC has a a USB card Compact Flash card reader built in good if not get one or your laptop has a PCMCIA slot get the PCMCIA adapter. With those two options, transfers can be sped up a bit. Of course it doenst matter if your card is small. I use a 1 GB Microdrive.

IMHO PS CS is much better than any nikon software.

Kieran Mullen

The Minolta 5400 scanner comes with scanning software, so you dont <i>need</i> to buy anything at first. If you find that software to be too limiting, however, VueScan is worth the investment. I can't say how good minolta's software is because I use Nikon scanners, but for me Vuescan was a very worthy upgrade from the NikonScan software.

Depends on how well you like the included Minolta software. Some say its fine, other swear they get better results via Vuescan or SilverFast.

<p>

I've found the supplied software to be more than sufficient. I scan in linear mode, then do all adjustments via Photoshop - <a href=http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=009mEH>Here's my workflow for slides.</a>

Make sure you visit the Minolta website and download the latest version of the scanner software which is DiMAGE Scan Version 1.1.5

http://www.minoltaeurope.com/magic_frameEoI.shtml?/pe/head_pe.htm?cgi-bin/db4web_c/db/minoeu/custsupp/support_stage.d4w?language=english

When you use it, restrict yourself to making image changes to the functions under the exposure tab. Once you know what results it can deliver then by all means look at 3rd party software.

Can't tell where you are, but in the USA the Minolta 5400 is usually

bundled with Photoshop Elements, which you could give away because

CS is better. The grain reducer and GEM (inside the scan software)

work fairly well, so you probably don't need Neatimage or equivalent.

Sharpening plug-ins may be easier to use, but Photoshop unsharp-mask

is fully featured.