How to minimize wrinkles

paul_ogawa

Hi, I have a Nikon F Ftn camera and I've just bought a Nikkor 105mm

f/2.5 lens for it. I want to test the lens. So, I will first shoot a

roll on my mom. She's a little more than 40 and she want as little

wrinkle to show up on the pic as possible.

So what are some techniques (make up, film, lighting, focus...) to

make her as young as possible? (if there is any)

Thanks.

Well you have a great camera and lens for getting pore sharp photos. To

make photos that are more flattering ,you can buy a softar filter or some

thing like that that will give you a soft look to the photos, You can also get a uv filter and

spray it with something like hairspray around the edges.This will also give the same effect.

Its a good Idea to keep the center clear ,so the edges are what get's soft. Vaseline

on a uv will do the same thing.Both the hairspray and vaseline will clean off a filter ,don't

put it directly on the lens. If you are printing in a darkroom ,streach some panty hose in a

frame and put it between the enlarger lens and the paper to diffuse the light. It can also be

done in photoshop. Back lighting the subject and using a softbox also give smoother skin.

I am sure your mother earned everyone of those wrinkles.

Diffusing the image would be my suggestion also. Some lenses are too sharp for flattering

photos of people. You could try flat lighting. That would tend to minimize wrinkles, but

wold also tend to make her look wider. If you hide the lines in her face but make her look

heavier instead, you might be looking for another test subject next time.

What you really need is a Zeiss Softar which comes in 3 strengths (1,2, and 3) and will soften the wrinkles but without losing sharpness. You would need a 52mm for the Nikkor 105.

A warning though, the Softar might cost more than the whole lens and so if you can borrow or rent one for this shoot that would be better.

If you have a choice, try a Softar 2 first.

For the cost of one Softar, you can buy a set of three different strength Hollywood FX filters from Tiffen. Do the same thing for less money. Stack 'em for varying amounts of diffusion. However, if you want to test the lens. I would think you would want to also test it's sharpness. Though I can't see having a sharpness problem with this lens. Do some for Mom and some for your test without diffusion. Mom doesn't have to see these though. Wouldn't want you to lose your model!

<i>?So what are some techniques (make up, film, lighting, focus...)</i><p>

1) Get a professional makeup artist. This will go a long way.<p>

2) Use soft light. Avoid harsh, direct light, especially if you're using flash.<p>

3) Don't use a filter. The results are cheesy and look like an effort to soften. If you do diffuse, do it selectively during printing.<p>

4) Scan your negatives and use Photoshop to remove the wrinkles. This is probably the best technique, not that I would neglect the makeup and lighting, it's what's done professionally now and with good reason.

Oops! Forgot! If you have a shoot through umbrella, and a monolight (I am only assuming of course), you can light her with a very soft light. Butterfly lighting with a reflector in front and below out of camera view will soften or remove a lot of the lines in her face without diffusion. You can use an on camera flash in 45 degree bounce position to simulate the same thing economically. Add just a little diffusion and her wrinkles...eh hem... I mean... character lines will, for the most part, vanish! Some makeup lightly applied will certainly help, with more emphasis on dark areas under the eyes, if she HAS any dark areas under her eyes, with concealer.

I'm sure more tips are forthcoming! Have fun! Post some pics when you can! Love to see 'em!

Dave

Nikon actually makes one of the more highly regarded soft focus filters on the market.This and a soft light source,that reduces shadow edges will make Mom look like a cover girl.Try the largest 'brella or light bank you have,and place it inches out of frame for optimum softening.