I have an old Epson 2450 with original software. Is there any way to

get better quality scans by somehow sandwiching the film between two

sheets of glass along with an oil, sort of simulating a drum scan

process?

The idea would be to have a nice flat scan as well as eliminate

Newton rings and dust.

vic... :)

I just found this on www.flatbed-scanner-review.org:<P>

<I>"as far as the scanning liquid is concerned, it's actually not oil at all. It's sort of thin alcohol-based liquid. It doesn't look like it would work, but it does. No one who uses it once would ever want to go back to using oil. It literally evaporates in seconds after you dismount the film, and leaves no residue."<P>

"The only drawbacks are these: you can only use the special tape that is sold by the manufacturer (it turns all other tape into a messy goo) and it doesn't heal severely scratched transparencies the way oil does. But for that they make a special scanning gel that is also not oil-based, and cleans up fairly easily. I have to use it only rarely.<P>

"The name of the company that makes this stuff is KAMI, it's German and the US importer is KAMI USA, PO Box 1235, Starke, FL, (904) 964-3408. You can buy from them direct or from most graphic arts dealers that handle pre-press supplies such as Arkin-Medo or Pitman.<P>

"There's a handy starter kit you can get from KAMI USA for not too much money. The tape, though expensive, works very well as an all-purpose scanning tape."</i>

oiling or wet-scanning is a good idea. but with 2450 its the same as using unsharp film on the best scanner.... senseless!

i will do this with new epson perfection 4990 and julios 5/7-wet-scan-kit using 6x18cm and longer razorsharp panoramic negatives. i want to find out if i can enlarge 20x or larger.

btw: i have a 20x enlargement here made with 2450. i will then compare with 4990. but it has already be done and shown on the net. the epson were also compared with imacon. and its a big difference.

if your original is not tack sharp you will not need a better scanner than 2450. with 4990 you would only see unsharpness better....