catching subject's emotion

tara_he

I've always been taught that a great portrait captures emotion. But

I find it hard to do that when most of us are only thinking about

putting on a big smile in front of the camera. When I look through

my family album most of the pictures of me are really bad. I have a

fake ugly smile and anyone can see so. I find it hard to have the

camera when it's truly needed, like a proposal, promotion or death.

Some photographers in this site are really talented. They capture

the feelings in the exact moment. How can I make the subjects

feelings really show?

Tara

Shoot when your subject is unaware of you taking photo :o)

<p>

That does not mean using supertelephoto lens but take photos of them when they are having conversation with others, or when they are laughing after listening to your jokes. Sometimes shooting without looking through viewfinder helps.

<p>

PS: I'm not a good photographer either but those tricks work pretty well for me.<div>0096sh-19118684.jpg.6a001a72d0db8886e840e52870ef4d1a.jpg</div>

Observe people, watch people, anticipate their next move or reaction and most importantly be patient. Having your camera with you all the time helps, people will get used to it eventually and let their guard darn, that's when you get them. My friends and family are always booing and hissing at me with my camera in toe, but then they forget that I'm there and that's when I strike. I also try to use more available light to avoid drawing attention to myself.<div>0096t8-19118984.jpg.589f9510ec6f9f9281330e1e031d6c68.jpg</div>

Wonderful picture of your dad, Melisa! Now that's a genuine smile.

<p>

That's the gist of my technique, as well. When my taking a picture is no longer something new to my subjects, then I am free to create more interesting images. This may mean burning a roll or so just to get them used to my raising and lowering my camera and the sound it makes. Once I'm part of the background and the emphasis is shifted away from my having a camera, then the real session begins.

<p>

--<br>

Eric<br>

<a href="http://www.merrillphotography.com/">Sioux Falls Portrait Photographer</a><br>

Like a baby kangaroo. Or ask them to hold something. Their cat,a tool,a favorite book, a dry martini, something to do with their hands. The face will follow. I bet I could get a real smile out of you too,with my kangaroo, Tara. Even if it be stuffed animal. Props for the really stiff.<div>0096wm-19119684.jpg.ff3827a076944e4d5a886b4290dc689e.jpg</div>

More patience, a relaxed, comfortable environment--I like to light candles and teens love my lava lamp. Take some time in the beginning getting to know each other especially with little ones, try to make them laugh, let them check out your camera. I encourage parents to bring favorite toys or I have toys to pick from too. Take a few "practice" shots to get them used to the sounds and lights, gives you time to observe them too and try to catch some of the fun interaction shots too.<div>0096yN-19120284.jpg.27e90c4c3184a2201e080a66982fbf87.jpg</div>

if you are shooting family/friend, one way is to always carry a camera and have them getting use to you taking exposures. after a while they'll be very relaxed about it and you'll a better chance of catching them in their natural behaviour/mode.

Since I like to use a tripod I get out from behind that evil machine and interact with my subject whenever I can. After ten frames,they soften and lose the rictus smile. It never fails. Shoot a lot. And be funny. Funny works. I will stand on my hands if necessary. Or make a silly face. Or...no I won't tell that one...

I have this beautiful girlfriend who always sticks out her tongue or grins or something when i lift up my camera. I take one photo like that, and then, when she thinks she's out of the "danger", i take the second one. Here below's one result.

For a while it was enough to press the DOF preview instead of the shutter release, it made her think I took the photo. But she learned ...:(

A wide angle lens also helps sometimes to make people think you're capturing something next/above/behind them;)<div>00975Q-19122784.jpg.5013856430820eb0667a24373f5120aa.jpg</div>

I think what Igor meant by "direct" is to give them ideas or instructions for posing, etc. I like to work with the person by saying, for example, "OK, what happens if you tip your head a little to your right, no your other right, a little more, good, good, now look at me, that's perfect, smile, beautiful, etc." Dialogue is really important and helps the subject to relax and feel good about what they are doing. The studio can be a little intimidating, many just dread the experience, so try to make it fun.

I advice you to watch the film about Peter Linbergh (documental) and see how he and Pedro Almodovar encourage ("direct") actors to pose by shouting, clapping their hands, speaking spanish and etc; in the same film sometimes models are far away from the photographer but the story is told and models know "the screenplay", the mood and purpose of shooting, then P. Lindbergh makes Naomi Campbell laugh by saying "watch out - E.T!" while she is in the pool (you can see these pictures in the book - special edition of Vogue Italia). Sometimes P. Lindbergh didn't "direct" too much just letting the river flow (is it good expression???) but I think that it works with the people of great personality.

<i>to show real emotion, they must be feeling, or experiencing real emotion. Give your subjects something to emotionally respond to, and they will show emotion to you... </i><p>

I agree with Tom. What I usually give them to respond to is themselves. It never fails if you can draw them out about themselves. Once they get going, it just happens.