Succumbing to the Espon 2200... where do I start?

I've recently dismissed my purism, and would like to start using a

digital darkroom. I have some friends that swear by the Epson 2200,

and it seems like an OK deal, but I'm concerned about the permanence

of the images. I know the inks for this printer are supposed to be

archival, but is this really the case? And how does the quality

compare to other printers in the same price range?

With just a modicum of common sense the archival qualities of the 2100/2200 series aren't really an issue. For me the big problem is that you're pretty much confined to matte papers with this printer. There's been some exciting news in the last few days that a new Epson A3 printer is on the way, higher print resolution plus a "gloss optimiser" for glossy prints. If gloss is something you want then you may be better waiting a few months.

One thing I dont like is buying something only to find out a few weeks later that the product has been replaced by a newer model.

So, here's the new Epson 2100/2200 replacement. It will not be available till early 2005. Just thought you'd like to know. And the Epson 2200 is not any less printer because of it either.

http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/products/printer/inkjet/pxg5000/pxg50001.htm

You can translate the whole web page at http://babelfish.altavista.com/

You can use glossy and luster papers with the 2200. The problem is bronzing with glossy papers, but you can GREATLY minimize it by extremely minor tweaks to output levels of your printed image (print with minimum value of 3 or 4 instead of 0 in levels, and with a max value of 250 or so instead of 255).

My view differs from several above. Don't be in the group learning how to make good prints from a new model printer. Choose a model that has tried and true developed workflows. You want procedures to follow, not be the one developing them. Especially if you're just starting out. Leave sorting out the new model printers to the experienced guys.

High quality digital printing is not a "point and click" process. There's a bit of art, a bit of science and a bit of black magic involved. It's not incredibly complex, but there is a learning curve.

Sure, 99% of the digital photo printing folks do the point and click process. They are the same ones that use point & shoot cameras because they require no thought. The same ones that are pleased when a photo "comes out" and has recognizable shapes. They are not the ones who use Photo.net

I shoot film and love the scanning and digital output process, so don't think I'm being negative, but...........

Have you realized that a working knowledge of Photoshop or a similar image processing program is an absolute necessity for quality prints? That's a learning curve unto itself.

FWIW, I've been printing digitally for several years and still believe the 1280, the predecessor to the 2200, is just as good a printer if you use pigment inks (like the 2200), is easier to use and 1/2 half the price of the 2200.

I don't have an answer from personal experience (only have a lowly c84 with durabright inks), but there answers are on this site:

<a href="http://www.wilhelm-research.com/>

They compare permanence of various inks and papers and have specifics about the 2200 in various documents. The news for proprietary pigment-based inks and epson papers.

My only nit: I would like to see more tests and specifics on 3rd party papers and inks on this site other than "stay away from them if you don't know."

I don't have an answer from personal experience (only have a lowly c84 with durabright inks), but there answers are on this site:

<p>

<a href="http://www.wilhelm-research.com/">wilhelm-research.com</a>

<p>

They compare permanence of various inks and papers and have specifics about the 2200 in various documents. The news for proprietary pigment-based inks and epson papers.

My only nit: I would like to see more tests and specifics on 3rd party papers and inks on this site other than "stay away from them if you don't know."

I love my 2200, it was miles better than the 1280 that I had before. A few issues to consider as disscussed above.

1. Archival or not it's all relative. The 2200 will be more archival than the dye-based ink such as 1280, but i don't think it is even comparable with fiber-based silver prints. For Archival color prints, send the image out to a lab have them use Fujifilm Christal-Archival paper with a lightjet.

2. Read more about digital ink-jet printing from the web, it's not exactly like traditional color prints. With glossy paper, back or dark places will seem flater. That's why most people use luster or matte, Epson Premium-Luster is a good paper with it's own profile.

3. You have to experience on your own with different kinds of paper and ink (2200 offers two different kinds of black ink, photo black and matte black, i found the later works better with none-glossy paper). The best all around paper I found is Ilford Smooth Pearl with Stylus Photo 2100/2200 ICC.

• 2 weeks later...

MIS associates is a company that makes very respected third-party inks for epson printers. (see inksupply.com)

CFS is "continuous flow system" or something along those lines. You connect a set of large external ink tanks to the printer which last a dozen or so times longer than the original cartridge. This also gives the option of stuff like multiple gray-toned inks for B&W printing, pigment-based inks, etc., and purportedly pays for itself pretty quickly in reduced ink costs. Systems for the 1280 are around $200 I believe and $300 for the 2200.