Dell UltraSharp

I was just perusing the DELL site for LCD monitors. I find they are

offering the 20" UltraSharp for $639. My desk is strained to hold the

19" Dell Trinitron for the past four years. I would dearly love to

have a 20" LCD, but only if the quality is as good as what I already

have. The current CRT would go to another computer. Any opinions or

facts on Dell LCD quality?

I have the Ultrasharp 19.1" and I really love it. I cannot speak to the quality re: games and I

don't feel comfortable rending an opinion re:on-screen acuracy for photo editing--

although that is what I use it for--but I have absolutely no complaints. I wouldn't give it up

for a CRT...

I've had the Dell UltraSharp 17" for a couple of years now and really like it. It's definitely nice and sharp and I think the color and brightness are better than the CRT I was using. Plus its not the space hog that a CRT is. When this one dies, I plan on purchasing a Dell UltraSharp 19".

Curt,

I have the Dell 2005 FPW widescreen LCD. Excellent contrast and sharpness. I couldn't tell the difference between that and an Apple 20" Cinema Display. It cost me $1400 to get a top of the line Dell Dimension 8400 with the display. The Apple LCD itself cost $1299 then (now it is less than $1k).

Dell - value for money.

I have the ULtraSharp 20". It's very reasonable and takes up little space compared with CRT. The attachable SoundBar speakers are an elegant package.

The contrast ratio (400-1) is lower than the 19" but the 20" allows 1600x1200 res.

Be sure your graphics card can support some of the features of it. Mine is only 128MB NVidia FX 5200.

The monitor can be turned to portrait format but my graphics card doesn't give rotate option. Also I substituted a DVI connection cable to improve the highest resolution but, again, the graphics card doesn't recognise the digital cable.