Light & sturdy tripod/head for GS-1 besides Gitzo w/B1?

michael_vincent

Hi everybody. I have just purchased a GS-1, (My first MF system,

yeah!!!) Now that I have spent lot's of my $ on a camera, I clearly

don't want to ruin my results with the wrong tripod/head/qr plate

combo. I want to be able to hike for several miles, so I'm looking

for something as light as possible, while still being as sturdy as

possible. (Sturdyness is of greater import to me than lightness.) For

most of my work, I will take ample time to compose/meter/etc., so

quickness of setup is not a big deal.

After searching through threads, it seems quite clear that a carbon

Gitzo with an Arca B1 ball head would be great....I have no where

near that much $ to spend, so...Would Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 legs with

a 47 head be good enough? From my research, this combo seems a good

alternative, but I really don't have experience with pro tripods.

All in all, I would like to spend around $200, + or - $50, on

legs/head/qr plate. Used gear is o.k.

Also, I was planning on using the Stroboframe Vertiflip to switch

from vertical to horizontil. (Not included in $200 budget.)How will

this affect my choices in a tripod, if at all?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you guys can give. As I have

found out, info. on tripods is much harder to find and digest than

info. on cameras :) Thanks a lot!

Hi Michael and welcome to the world of MF photography.

I've used the Manfrotto 3021 with 3-way head and QR plate for many years in

a variety of conditions with Contax 35mm, Rollei 6x6, Pentax 67, Mamiya 67

(similar in size and weight to the GS-1) and also with a lightweight Ebony

4x5. This tripod has performed well with all these cameras in most

circumstances. It is sturdy, not too heavy, secure and rigid and almost

indestructable.

I would suggest that you lock the extending center column securely. I did this

by drilling through the column and putting a 12mm bolt through the hole. This

stopped all movement of the column and greatly improved rigidity and

stability. I don't use the extension, so it doesn't worry me that it remains

locked like this but if I did wish to use the extension I could just undo the

wingnut, remove the bolt and I'd be back to the original design.

Some people don't like the lever locking for the legs on the Manfrotto but I

have found these locks to be easy to do up/undo and they have always

locked securely. The Gitzo type screw locks also work well but I prefer these.

Just what you get used to I think.

The Manfrotto legs also splay out at various angles which allows easy

working on uneven ground or for low level work. I have been very happy

with the Manfrotto over the years and it is a good compromise for

weight/size/rigidity/cost.

With good photographic technique this lighter weight tripod would be a good

choice for the GS-1 and you won't break the bank or your back!

Kind regards

Peter Brown

(You can view my editorial/documentry images at www.contax.ch)

Michael,

I would still go for the Gitzo over the Bogen. The 12xx or 2xx (200 series1200 series same thing) found used on eBay may be a possibility for you. The 100 series might be a bit light for medium format while the 200 series seem a good compromise As far as a head goes I personally think the Arca and other expensive ballheads are a bit of current photo-think hype. Unless you plan on continual panning with very long lenses I feel a pan tilt head also picked up used would be a great and inexpensive solution. I bought a Gitzo 1377 ballhead and didn't like it after giving it a nice long try. I finally went to an old but perfectly fine gitzo R2 pan tilt that seems perfect for me. Also the quick release plates from Really right Stuff or Kirk although expensive, are worth every penny (dollar)!

I have three Manfrotto tripods, including an 055 and an 075, all of which are great in their own special way, but when I got my Gitzo G1345 ... oh my god !

The thing is rock-solid and light. I use it for my RB67 so it's easily gonna handle your GS-1. I also use a number of pan-tilt Manfrotto heads all are strong enough for the RB.

I did hear that value-for-money wise the Manfrotto heads are better than the Gitzo's. But as for the legs - absolutely no regrets.

Eat Macaroni/Cheese for a while and go for the Gitzo!

I've got an 8# Gitzo rig with a medium weight Bogen/Manfrotto head that seems just as stable (or more) as my 12.5# Bogen with a heavy head. I've tested carefully because of concerns in using my P67 noisemakers... The smaller Gitzo seems to neutralize and dampen the vibrations better, somehow. eBay has some Gitzo stuff sneaking through at affordable prices sometimes. Get the Gitzo pdf file from their site and acclimate yourself to the numbering codes and the choices will be more clear for you. You are right in treating your GS-1 to a worthy support. Your camera system is capable of producing images that are first rate and it deserves a good pod.

Thanks for all of the helpful responses so far! I can't wait until I am knowledgeable enough about something photographic to help people in return. Well, untill then, if anybody wants to know anything about Reggae music, I'm your guy :)

It sounds like I need to take a trip to B&H soon to experience the Gitzo magic first hand. But then again, a Ford will get you to point A to point B just as well as a Lincoln. We'll see.

Here's something else that has been perplexing me all day. I have heard several times that it's a good idea to carry a bag to hang from your tripod and fill with sand or rocks to increase stability. If you did this, I can imagine that even a small wind could make the bag swing a little. Wouldn't this movement cause camera shake/vibration, and therefore be detremental? It doesn't quite make sense to me. Can somebody explain?

Lastly, what's so damn special about these Really Right Stuff plates? It seems like everybody is saying that they are the end all be all. Is this just consumerism, or are they really THE right stuff?

Thanks Again, Mike

In answer to what is so special about RRS plates. It is camera specific plates that are special. Kirk and also us (Acratech) also make camera specific plates. This type of plate offers several advantages. First of all the plates have a lip that corresponds to the edge of the camera, it is designed to prevent the camera from rotating on the plate. The next advantage is the plates are contoured to allow access to battery doors, etc without removing the plates. The camera specific plates also provide more area of contact with the camera this adds stability especially with todays plastic camera bodies. Another advantage with the plate designed for the specific camera, is the plates can be designed to position the cameras weight directly over the tripod this is especially important on cameras where the tripod thread is offset to one side.

I'm not sure I'd use the Ford / Lincoln analogy to describe Manfrotto / Gitzo. Would owning a Ford mean it'd be less hassle to walk than drive, compared to owning the Lincoln ?

You can have a tripod which will do the job, like my Manfrotto 075 (weighs a ton), but it's so heavy I leave it at home. The Gitzo has all the weight carrying capabilities of the 075 but is a fraction of the weight. It never gets left at home.