samscholes

I would like to purchase a set of close-up filters and am considering

a set by Tiffen. I have a Nikon N65 SLR and will be using the filters

on a fixed 50mm Nikkor lens. What close-up filters have you had good

experience with? What would be recommend? B&W would be another option

but they tend to be rather pricy and B&H doesn't seem to offer a

discounted set like with the Tiffens.

Tiffen 52mm Close-up Kit (+1,+2,+4) Lens @ B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=56779&is=REG

Would appreciate the response of the forum. Thank you.

The Nikon closeup lenses are outstanding dual element filters and will provide better quality than the single elemnt Tiffens. I use them on my Canon lenses.

The Nikon's may, or may not, be available in 52mm but if you get say a 62mm set, all you will need is a 52->62mm step-up ring to fit them. Step-up rings are handy in that you can purchase filters in the size to fit your largest diameter lens and have a cheap step-up ring for every other diameter lens you have.

If you are unsure as to whether you will use close-up lenses much and just wish to experiemen to decide, do get the Tiffens and then upgrade later if you find you enjoy close-up photography. Without looking at the B&H prices, my guess is that you can buy the whole Tiffen set for less than one Nikon.

Your should consider the close up attachments made by Nikon specifically for their standard 52mm mount. The 4T is a +3 diopter and the 3T is lower (can't recall offhand). I own the 4T and it think it is an excellent value at $29 from B&H.

By the way I don't think you will be very pleased with the macro capability offered by either of these on a 50 mm lens. To get any sort of useful macro result you would want to be closer to 100mm. I use my 4T exclusively on a Nikon 75-100 Series E zoom. A prime lens with a close up filter is very awkward to focus.

<i>A prime lens with a close up filter is very awkward to focus.</i>

<br> <br>

Not arguing - but I am curious as to why you say that. I know zooms have the advantage of changing the magnification ratio without changing the working distance, while primes have only one magnification ratio available for any particular working distance - but I did not think they would be harder to focus.

<br> <br>

Oh btw - great last name ;)