where and when to see fall colors in Ontario, Canada?

jason_chen3

Hello,

I am planning a trip to Toronto this fall. Within 5 hours drive from

Toroto, where is the best place to see fall foliage? I'm thinking

about places like Algonquin Provincial Park. I plan to go around

early or mid Oct. When is the best time/chance to see fall foliage in

that region? (I understand it varies from year to year due to rain or

temperature)

thanks!

Jason

You can't pin it to dates unless you're psychic and know when the killing frost is going to hit, and how much it's going to rain. There's always going to be a chance you'll miss-time the colors or the change will be very abrupt. As long as you keep that in mind and are prepared to enjoy your time there with or without blazing fall colors (or I guess they're colours in Canada)you'll be fine.

Just start checking the <a href=" http://www.ontariotravel.net/publications/fallcolourreport.pdf" target="_blank">fall colour report</a> done by the Ontario government. It can vary quite widely based on temperature and precipitation. I got <a href=" http://www.photo.net/photo/1182030&size=lg" target="_blank">this shot</a> a couple years ago very late in the season.

In southern Ontario the best time is usually around Canadian Thanksgiving, a week into October.

Fall colors are hard to predict. Temperature, wind, and/or rain can affect their arrival as well as departure. Don't try to discourage you here, but you may just pick a date and go with it.

A friend of mine flew from Southern California last year to Ottawa/Hull area partly for the photo opportunity. He was there for the weekend and left without a single shot of foliage.

Another friend of mine left from the same area and went to the same destination the following weekend and he saw all wonderful foliage. Unfortunately, this guy is not into photography.

Sometime luck counts.

North of Toronto is great, but don't get discouraged by the monotonous drive... after an hour or so you'll start to near the Lake Huron/Georgian Bay Areas... especially around the east shores of Georgian Bay is spectacular.

To save some driving, there are also a lot of nice colours along the Niagara escarpment. A drive at that time of year through the Niagara wine region east of Hamilton and the surrounding conservation areas turns up some nice colours and that's only 1 hour from Toronto.

Algonquin is definately the mother of it all and famously the best place for that sort of thing in Southern Ontario, but you won't want to try that as a day trip - plan to camp or stay in a cabin overnight at least.

Dates are always dicey - especially this year as the summer seems to have taken a really long time to kick in. It could go either way with an 'Indian Summer' meaning warmer temperatures and autumn colours later in the season, or it could just be a cooler summer with the leaves turing early. Speaking as a climatologist by trade, I don't know if anyone could really give you a precise answer on that one this year. The other person's suggestion of checking the appropriate websites is the best idea. Also check seasonal forecasts from Environment Canada (http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/saisons/index_e.html) and NOAA (http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov) for more info.

That said though, Autumn colurs will usually last at least a couple of weeks here, so pick either week and cross your fingers...

I wasn't looking for a precise date prediction, just information to make an educated guess/bet. Your input is very helpful, especially the info from Environment Canada. I emailed the park service at Algonquin Provincial Park, and they told me the peak is around mid-Sep, while every other source says end of Sep or first 2 weeks of Oct, this contradicting info makes me confused.

Nature should go digital so it will be more predictable. In the meantime you have to

make do with what here is. Some things are predictable; some things aren't. The

further north you go, the earlier the leaves will change colour. That is a given. The

mid-September

dates may well be right for Algonquin, but closer to Toronto, October is when you will

see significant colour changes. You might want to plan for late September and then

pick your spot then? When changes happen will depend on how warm it is in the fall.

Algonquin is a great place for fall colours. It can get ridiculously crowded on our Thanksgiving weekend. It is difficult to gauge when they are at their peak, especially if you base it on the colours to the south. That being said you could go there on either of your available dates and still have good photo ops. Might even have the opportunity to catch sight of a Moose or two. Another area to consider is up around Collingwood and Thornbury. Specifically Beaver Valley, which often has good colours several weeks before the Algonquin colours peak. The valley is approx 2hrs north of Toronto.

<br> For information closer to the fall try the <a href="http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/"> Algonquin Park website: </a>

Another good but unofficial site is: <a href=" http://www.algonquinadventures.com ">Algonquin Adventures</a>

Algonquin area is usually a week to ten days ahead of our area further south, on the shore of Lake Ontario; generally the peak hits here the 2nd week of October. But like others say, dust off your crystal ball and fire up your ESP. They should be much better this year than the last couple of summers when we've had drought. If you're in the second week, consider heading east towards Peterborough, or a little further northeast to the Haliburtons, pretty countryside. Or even go due east to the Ridea Lakes disrict, about 2 to 3 hours east of Toronto, (Kingston area north to Ottawa) and hit the backroads. Some pretty scenery. Also, if you go to Algonquin, try to make it on a weekday, weekends are known to full of tourists from the cities just making the day trip drive through the area, and making it darned near impossible to find accomodations.

Plan for the 1st week of October, and since you're willing to drive 5 hours, you could just keep driving north for 5 hours, and you should end up with some good colour in North Bay, but Algonquin should be okay for Oct. Otherwise, Ottawa/Gatineau is only 4hrs away. If by some chance it's cold early, you could go south to the Niagara area which is typically a week or two later than Toronto.

As it is, you can get very good colour in the Rouge Valley, Don Valley or High Park in the 1st week of Oct right in Toronto.

Gatineau Park just across the Ottawa river from Ottawa, the nations Capital. The park is very good with fall colours, once again late September early October. Vairiables are if we have drought conditions the trees will turn sooner, but this year so far has been wetter than usual, so I'm betting the fall colours should be at the regular time.

Last year in the Ottawa area I took fall colours on the 10th October 2003. Thanks to Metadata!

Ottawa is 4 1/2 to 5 hours drive from Toronto,or a 40 minute flight. Also you get in Ottawa a beautiful small city with many historic buildings & at the weekend a bustling market.

Good luck

Norman

Just in case you end up not being able to go to Algonquin for as long as you hope and end up trying plan simple day trips based from Toronto, the area just north-west of the city, say north of Mono Mills, also near and east of Shelburne, and Hockley Valley can be beautiful when in colour. On a map you should look for Mono and Mulmur Townships. They are hilly and rural. But for good sightlines avoid the overly engineered and flat paved highways and venture onto the local gravel concession roads. They are in excellent condition and have little traffic.

Closer to Toronto, the area along the Niagara Escarpment just west and north-west of Milton can be great on the right day. There are several Conservation Areas near there with well-groomed hiking trails and you'll be close to civilization the whole time. Some Conservation Areas to look for are Hilton, Kelso, Mount Nemo, Mountsberg, Crawford Lake. Hilton is especially nice and entirely wooded.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...