Does IS help with multiple exposures

kyle_joyce

Well, the reverse is true... that multiple exposures help with IS. Nevada Weir (National

Geographic photographer) relies on IS a lot and she said that she always uses multiple

exposure because the 2nd and 3rd exposures are actually sharper than the first. It seems

IS behaves a little like AI Servo... it works better after it has a little practice!

Now, when shooting baseball, I imagine you are using shutter speeds above the

handholdable limit, so IS really has no use because the shutter speed is shorter than any

noticeable camera shake. If you move the camera, you move the camera... I am not sure IS

can help you there.

Which IS lens you are you using? A consumer lens or an L series lens? Which generation IS

is it? Which IS mode are you using?

Erin.....

....could be wrong here, but I think Kyle is referring to 'Multiple Exposure' in the strict sense of the words.. i.e. several exposures made on the same frame of film, as opposed to a group of shots.

Technically Multiple Exposure is the former, and your interpretation is understood (use that method myself sometimes) but perhaps Kyle can let us know which one he means.

If the former...more than one exposure on the same frame - YES, IS will certainly help. If taking a 'burst of shots' what I <i>think</i> Erin is referring too - it will STILL help!

In addition to Erin: IS takes a few seconds to kick in. When you half-press the shutter button, it takes a short while for IS to start up and completely stabilize the image. If you quicly press the shutter, the image may not be fully stabilized yet - that may explain why the 2nd or 3rd photo with IS is sharper than the 1st.

I have not tried it but the answer should be yes. Once IS kicks in it keeps the subject centered despite small movements. Try to avoid pressing the shutter release multiple times as this is likely to be the source of larger movements. A monopod and IS should let you capture such pictures. A tripod and a cable release would be the ultimate but are not so flexible or convenient.

Presumably, you'd be using AI SERVO when shooting sports therefore IS would already be engaged. IS will help with faster speeds in this case because it is always on (as the shutter is half pressed to activate AI SERVO) and will correct your camera shake on the fly as you follow the subject on the field.

David, yes I was using the wrong terminology. I was just picking up on what the original

poster had said. I should have said continuous shooting as opposed to "multiple

exposure."

However, it didn't occur to me that the original poster meant that he was actually making

multiple exposures on the same piece of film since he was talking about shooting

baseball. I just figured he was talking about shooting a pitching sequence. (This is

probably also a reflection of the fact that I haven't picked up my film camera since "going

digital" 9 months ago! There is no "multiple exposure" setting on my 10D!)

Yeah i meant multiple exposures on one frame.

Like 4 shoots of a pitcher on one frame. Usually I move the camera slightly so you can see the background doesn't match up.

I'm considering getting the 300 f/4 IS sometime in the future.

Thanks

Ah! Okay... sorry about that Kyle. Saw baseball and immediately thought something else.

I am curious to see your results on this... It has got me thinking about trying it myself!

Part of me wants to say that IS will work like you want it to, but I am inclined to think it

won't. A tripod is the only surefire way to make sure the background stays the same

between exposures. IS's job is just to produce one sharp frame... despite camera

movement... not to produce multiple frames that are unchanged in composition/framing.

I am sure IS will give you 4 camera-shake free exposures, but I am not sure it will give you

4 images that will line up/register perfectly with each other.

Good luck!