mormegil

While hapily firing away on the beach, with my 300D, the camera froze

mid exposure. The shutter managed to close, but the lens was stuck at

the closed down aperture, and after the camera finished writing to the

CF card, nothing was displayed anywhere on any LCD screen. The only

way I could get the camera responsive again was to remove the battery

for a few seconds.

This has only happened when using the Sigma EF-500 Super (non-DG) and

the 50mm 1.8 MkII (but I haven't been shooting with much else).

Any ideas? Incompatibility maybe?

Cannon always changes the contacts to make it harder to use other than Cannon lenses. Stop using the lens, because you can damage the camera or your lens.

Call Sigma and they will be more than happy to upgrade your lens to work with your camera. It is a free service (as long as you are the original registered owner of the lens), the only thing you pay is shipping to Sigma.

Tokina provide this service as long as your lens under warranty.

I use a Elan IIE and a 10D. All my lenses are Sigma. All are upgraded and there is no problem using the 10D.

I can't comment on the non DG version, but for anyone planning to purchase a Sigma flash I would recomend spending the extra few dollars to buy the EF500 DG Super. I have been using this flash for about 3 weeks and I am quite happy with the results. I also foud a used 420ex at a pawn shop on Wednesday for $160 CDN so now I have a 2 flash setup and can get rid of my 2 vivtar 285Hv units.

I have a Sigma EF-500 Super with a 300D/DRebel, and a 50mm f/1.8. No problems with the combination here.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a third party flash have incompatibility problems with the latest Canon cameras, but this dosesn't seem to be happening with many others. Still, your flash might be causing this, who knows?

Also, if the aperture of the lens gets sluggish, it can produce the same sympom. I had this happen.