Removing Wide Angle Distortion.

I use a Nikon Coolpix 3500 for my digital work. It's a great little

camera, but on its shortest focal length produces wide angle

distortion. OK when wanted, but you can't tell on the LCD display

that it's going to happen. With archiecture shots I need to find a

way of removing this distortion.

Photoshop has Sherize Distortion filter which can be set negative,

but it only works at the centre of the picture.

Does anyone know of any other filters or techniques to straighten

things out?

Define wide angle distortion. If it is the skewing effect from tilting the camera, that is one thing. If it is the barrel to picushon distortion from a zoom lens, there are programs that correct that. If it is the eliptical shape of circular objects toward the corners of the frame, I don`t think it can be corrected except if you stitch a panorama together.

From Distort - Spherize, you then have Mode - Normal (default) which is the centre only one, and two other options - Horizontal only, Vertical only.

If you select Horizontal and do the degree of correction appropriate for that axis, then Vertical and do likewise for that axis, the adjustment diagram shows adjustable correction graduated across the full image area.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. The question is not one of Perspective - I can and do use the Transform-Skew tool in Photoshop to adjust for parallax. But neither Transform nor Crop adjusts for the curvature caused by barrel distortion. I will try emailing the PTLens people, but I'm surprised that there isn't a readilly available filter/tool for this adjustment that doesn't rely on a lens specification.

John - Thanks, I downloaded the Flofilters plugin and it is exactly the tool I need and it really works well. Thanks again for taking the trouble to point me in the right direction. No more barrels - yipee!<div>00AuDC-21547084.jpg.c9be80a18bf4104b5c2c347a93e49f00.jpg</div>

John, sorry I got confused between products. It's LensDoc from Andromeda (referred to in a post further up the thread) that's $98. PTLens is free, but the only way I could see of getting it to work was to upload a profile file for my lens - but I can't find one for the Nikkon Coolpix 3500.