is the FA repairable, is it worth it

steve ward

I AM UNDECIDED ABOUT THE VALUE OF PUTTING MY F-A INTO THE SHOP FOR

REPAIR. MECHANICALLTY IT IS WORKING JUST FINE, BUT INTERNAL

COMPNENTS HAVE BEGUN TO BREAK DOWN. THERE ARE PIECES OF BLACK GUNK,

A SEALER OF SOME SORT THAT ARE SHOWING UP ON THE MIRROR. I'M NOT

SURE IF IT IS BAD ENOUGH TO LET LIGHT IN, BUT IT MAY BE HEADED THAT

WAY. I STILL USE MY F-3, SPARINGLY, BUT MOSTLY USE THE F-100 NOW.

THE F-3 IS FOR WHEN I WANT TO SHOOT DIFFERNT FILMS AT THE SAME TIME.

IT ALSO IS BETTER SUITED TO MY OLD MANUAL FOCUS LENSES.

I JUST WANT TO GATHER OPINIONS AS TO WHETHER IT IS WORTH THE

EFFORT/EXPENSE TO HAVE IT OVERHAULED

If it's working fine mechanically, then it doesn't need an overhaul. The black stuff is just the foam light seals deteriorating. You can buy replacement foam kits and do the job yourself. I bought a kit last year from Jon Goodman (a.k.a. "interslice" on the big auction site) and replaced the foam in 3 cameras. Cost was less than $10.

I'm not so certaint that it's really worth repairing the camera, as you can find fairly sharp examples these days for $250. I had a repair done on an FA around a year ago and the charge was $150. This was from an 'authorized' repair shop. SLR mirrors aren't exactly easy to clean, and I imagine that any camera repair shop wouldn't consider this to be an simple or easy fix.

Almost EVERY FA that has not had its light seal foam changed from the original would have it turning into gunk by now. Mine was the same too. As long as the camera is working fine, you're in good shape. You MUST change the light seal foam. As the foam breaks down, the mirror movement will fling the bits of foam around. I'd send it to a Nikon Authorised repair centre (Not Nikon USA themselves. They charge a minimum $200 for ANYTHING) and get them to clean, check and change the seals. Cost me around $60. You can save by changing your own seals, but when it has turned to gunk and is stuck to the mirror surface, it's better to let the trained technicians handle it. The mirror is front silvered, so it is easy to damage.

Aaron