together except for one piece that i just can't figure out what it

does or how it correctly fits. I know where it goes, but it doesnt

seem to do ANYTHING when it's there. The real problem is the spring

that goes under this piece. It only seem to fit one way over the post

that it goes around because the bottom end of the spring fits into a

hole, but when it is fit in this way, it doesnt put torque on the

piece that goes over it in any way. The real kicker is that the lense

seem to be working perfectly fine without this piece in at all. But

it must have been there for a reason, right?

I've put images online so you folks can check them out and if you know

what you're doing, maybe you can help me figure this enigma out. If

you need any more info, or other pictures, please just let me know.

It's driving me crazy. Here is the link

http://busdriverstu.darwinonline.org

Go to the "Lens Fix" album. It's easy to figure out.

I would bring it to get fixed but i'm afraid the cost of doing so

would be around the same as just picking up another one of these on

auction.

Thank you so much if you can offer help. Also, if there is another

place I should try asking, let me know that too! thanks!

That piece gives extra tension for the fastest shutter speed. The spring is tensioned only when the shutter speed ring is turned to the fastest speed !/400 on my shutter. If you don't need that fast speed, leave it out. Put the speed ring on, and you'll see how it works.

What a fun puzzle! A question: what kind of shutter is this that we are trying to put back together? (It's the shutter that's apart, not the lens!)

Looking at the photos, I think you may have the spring in upside down somehow. In the photo of just the spring and cam, the end of the spring that is at the lower right of the photo, looks like it might mesh with the indent in the left side of the cam. What the whole thing does, I can't say.

Hey guys thanks! I just came back to say i think i got it together correctly, but you guys were too fast! I really appreciate the help. Jim, you are totally right. Once i put the speed ring on, i could see that it hit that piece when i set it to 400. I wouldnt have guessed why without you saying it, but it makes perfect sense to have a bit more tension for high speed. man, i feel great getting this thing back together!

I'm not sure exactly what kind of shutter this one is. I think I remember reading these lenses had Supermatic shutters but i'm not sure. Oh, and yeah i was just reffering to the entire thing as a lens because i had the entire thing taken apart in front of me. but i suppose you're correct and i should have said shutter as that is what i was taking pictures of for you. Thanks again guys for the help!

Yes, it definitely looks like an American shutter, could very well be a Kodak Supermatic. I haven't had my Supermatics open in a while, but the gear train on the right very much looks the part. The reason it looks "American" is that there are plenty of economical metal stampings in there. No metal surface is finished that isn't essential to the operation of the shutter. On the other hand, a Compur, everything is finished, it all looks very precise.

People knock Supermatics for their crude internal finish, but they are really very clever bits of value engineering. They didn't cut corners that affect the user.

I dont really know much about shutters as this is my first LF lens and i dont dare open any of my canon 35mm or my mamiya MF lenses. But I guessed that it wouldnt be too complicated in this one because it's all mechanical, and I just sort of assumed they could only fit so many pieces in such a small object. Maybe in time i'll learn the intricacies of varying shutters. I was pretty impressed by the engineering of this little shutter though. polished or not, as long as the pieces do what they are supposed to, i'm fine with that.

I am pretty sure it is a Supermatic, my friend and I just serviced his two Medalists this pass weekend, the inside looks "exactly" like the shutters on his Medalists, except the cocking arm and shutter release on the medalist's are at the "back" of the shutter.