Tripod & Head

pto189

I need a very good tripod for my Canon 20D mainly used with 70-200

f4/L & 1.4 II extender and 100 2.8 macro. I need a very good tripod

and head yet don't want to spend more money than I need.

<br>

<p>

Which one do I need? Pan/Tilt, 3D, Ball Head, Geared Head?

<br>

<p>

All of your advices will be greatly appreciated.

You;ll get a million answers. I'm seeing the cost factor here.

<P>

For location work, I like my Bogen 3211 with a "video

head" (for telephoto lenses with tripod mounts) and I use a Calumet medium ballhead,

which is pretty solid for the price. For

studio work, I have a Majestic tripod (huge and heavy, but really solid with a geared head)

<P Note that your telephoto lens with extender may vibrate easily, I really like the tripod

mount on telephoto lenses, by moving the center of gravity and changning the rotation,

you don't have so many irritating vibration problems.

<P>Geared heads and 3D heads are irritating to me if shooting moving objects, if you're

only shooting landscapes or still life, they should work.

<P>

If i had to do it again for minimal cost, I'd get either a Bogen or Calumet.

<P><A target="_new" HREF="http:

//www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?

PAGE=Controller&ac.ui.pn=cat.CatItemDetail&ac.item.itemNo=CK6121&ac.cat.CatTreeSear

ch.detail=y&type=SPDSEARCH">This calumet looks like a good for the money, I saw one in

the store last week</A>

<P><A HREF="http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?

PAGE=Controller&ac.ui.pn=cat.CatItemDetail&ac.item.itemNo=BG3955&ac.cat.CatTreeSear

ch.detail=y&type=SPDSEARCH">a Bogen Video Head</A>

<P>I'd call to make sure these things can work together, ie. you can switch heads with a

screwdriver.

<P>I might spend the $90 or so for a tripod mount on your 70-200, then about $100-

$300 for a tripod with a video head and a ball head from Bogen or Calumet. You can get a

Bogen leg set and a Calumet head, etc... I found that the tripod mount on tele lenses

allowed me to avoid the really expensive ball heads, which were quite awkward with a tele

lens in vertical position, also at telephoto, minor movements have huge image changes, so

the smooth video head is nicer to work with.

<P>For more money there are lots of nice options, for less, most of the stuff isn't very

sturdy or easy to use. If you can go to a proshop and try these things you'll quickly see

what you like and what might drive you crazy.

The only "really good" setup I have experienced is Gitzo Explorer G2228 and Arca-Swiss B1. I do not think I could get anything better in terms of stability and versatility if I limited the load to 5 KGs or below.

If I had to opt for a cheaper setup -- the Manfrotto 190 Magfiber (Magnesium+CF version replacement for Bogen 3001)legs and the Acratech ball head look real good.

Going slightly higher, the Manfrotto 055 Magfiber (Magnesium+CF version replacement for Bogen 3021) and the Markins' M10 ballhead would be great.

I guess the Gitzo 1325 and RRS BH-55 ballhead with lever clamp would really be a Cadillac-ish system but I wouldn't spend all that much.

If going for pan/tilt head look into the Manfrotto 3047. But a good ballhead is just as stable for SLR systems and much faster to use.

I have played with a geraed head (the Manfrotto 410) and while it does offer hair-breadth accuracy, they may be very slow to use.

HTH,

I read your post again... a 70-200 with 1.4 extender on a 20D = really, really, really

telephoto and subject to vibration. I might consider a more pro-level Video tripod meant

for heavy DV cameras, like <P><A target="_new" HREF="http://www.calumetphoto.com/

ctl?

PAGE=Controller&ac.ui.pn=cat.CatItemDetail&ac.item.itemNo=BG1505&ac.cat.CatTreeSear

ch.detail=y&type=SPDSEARCH">This bogen model</A> <P>Note that the ability to level

without

resetting leg length is nice here. I'd bring your lens and camera to the store and try things

if you can. Most sports and wildlife photographers use the tripod mounts on tele lenses.

<P><A target="_new" HREF="http://www.shutterbug.com/test_reports/

0699sb_wimberley/"> there are

also purpose-built heads for wildlife/sports with long lenses</A>