black and white portrait film

matt_m__toronto_

Just wondering what you guys like in 120 or 220 as far as b+w portrait

film. I'll be shooting outdoors with no flash and will probably throw

on a red filter.

I'm thinking ilford 125 or tmax 100 which is supposedly a softer look.

Any suggestions. I'll be shooting in late afternoon. I like my

blacks black and my whites white.

Thanks

For portraits, I'd stick with the more "traditional" emulsions, as opposed to Ilford Delta or Tmax. I'd use Pan F (50) or the Ilford 125. Personally, I'd consider the developer and process as carefully as I'd choose the film.

As well, for portraits on any modern pan film, you might want to think about using a green or a yellow green filter, especially for a portrait of a woman. This will take some experimentation on your part.

Now, if you need to actually cut down on the sharpness, you can always do so in the darkroom, but you can't produce length of scale if it isn't in the neg.

If you really like your blacks black, and your whites white, it sounds like kinda harsh portraiture?!

I do like Bergger 200, which is a lot like old Super XX. However, it is, to my knowledge, only available in sheets (4x5, 5x7, etc.)

i use an orange 40. looks great with most skin types. red 25 gets a little chalky on light complexions -- no details-- and too dim on dark ones, plus you lose 3 stops. i use a green 11 if it's a portrait in foliage, 1 stop lost.

i like verichrome pan, which is rated 125. another good film for portraits is kodak's tcn400, the chromogenic stuff. overexpose a whole stop, it looks great. your overall density of neg is higher, but they're still pretty easy to print. it's also sharper overexposed.

you can almost handhold it at that speed too.

My suggestions would be Agfa 100 (in Rodinol), or Fuji Neopan Acros 100 -- shot at 80 -- or Fuji Neopan 400 (both in HC 110). It might be too dark to use Pan F without a light boost.

And Dan raises a good point on the filtering: yellow or green would yield a much more flattering image.

Ok, I just answered this on the other thread, not the one with all the answers, so ..

Bergger 200 is availiable in 120. I just got 5 rolls, none developed, yet, so no opinions, but it is available.

>I do like Bergger 200, which is a lot like old Super XX. However, it >is, to my knowledge, only available in sheets (4x5, 5x7, etc.)

>-- Don Feinberg, March 20, 2002; 06:18 P.M. Eastern

• 8 months later...