lutz

Well, this might have been asked a couple of times, but...<p>

I just noticed that on my M6TTL body I can't get the rangfinder patch

to totally align at infinity - the focus of several lenses would stop

short just before getting a total match. I doublechecked with my M6

classic which is spot on. Now, is this kind of rangefinder adjustment

something that can be done by myself? I faintly remember having read

so... And if so, how...?<p>

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

My M6 RF is whacked out, too, but I haven't sent it off for an adjustment yetand I'm too damn cheap and stubborn to buy the $250 adjustment tool. RF misalignment is a common problem and should be an easy fix DIY without an expensive, special-order tool. Pretty arrogant on Leica's part. I've told Rich Pinto that I'm looking for an M4-P which does have a full DIY adjustment. Anyway, long experience withe the Rollei 35 has me well practiced with scale focusing. Who needs a stinkin' rangefinder, anyway [or a lightmeter, for that matter]!

It is not difficult or dagerous to your M6 to DIY, I made a 'screwdriver', more of a bent adjustment tool, from some sheet brass, the ends I have put at +45 and -45 degrees so no matter which way the head is one end will fit (softer than the steel screw and hence will not damage it). All you do is turn the slotted screwdriver head that looks like it holds on the rangefinder roller on (it doesn't) a weeny bit, then check alignment again, it is not very stiff, that's why they go out of alignment.

Hi Lutz.

I have the same thing on my cameras. I was told that you have to be rally looking at infinity to make the images merge. If you are focusing on a subject, lets say, at a distance just past the the max indicated distance on the lens, you will get get an indication that the object is a bit out of focus on the range finder. Being, that you are not really looking at infinity. I guess to really be at infinity, the subject will be so far away, that you will not be able to see it anyway. I have the same "problem" with my Canon SBlV, but the pictures were allways in focus. As I am now, I quit worrying about it and it does not bother me any more. I hope this note will take some pressure off of you.

Best wishes and a Happy New Year to you,

Tony

Good point sort of. Check both your TTL and M6 focused upon the edge of the moon in a clear night sky The TTL is definitely off but the Classic could be focusing short of true infinity even if it looks spot-on on some object a few hundred feet away.

If bumped; this cam roller probably didnt rotate. Your missalignment at infinity can be made correct with the roller; BUT what moved? The gain of the rangefinder determines the close focus tracking. This is the other adjustment on the cam/roller arm. It sets the "arms length"; ie diemension of eccentric cam to its pivot. If too short or too long; the camera will missfocus at closer distances., This adjustment is interactive with the infinity adjustment. One does a infinity adjust; then a close adjust; then an infinity; then a close; etc etc. Dont mess with this unless you know what you are doing;)

OK say you don't have the moon available or any object at infinity. You can do this. Draw 2

parallel lines spaced 69.25mm apart (the M rangefinder base length). When the camera is

properly adjusted and focused for infinity, the two lines are superimposed in the

rangefinder. This is independent of viewing distance.

Thanks everybody for your input so far. Yes, I was talking about horizontal alignment, and the phenomenon consists in "bumping" against the infinity block of the lens while focussing - *without* getting the patch to match (I'm a poet - I didn't know it...! ;-) So, to me that means the RF arm isn't pushed back far enough by the focus helicoid and thus the roller has to be turned outwards (I suppose by adjusting the screw you pointed out). And, yes, I'm talking about objects miles away. <p>What I am actually more concerned by (rather than not getting those included in any DOF) are the consequences on close focussing. IF the RF is out of whack at infinity, then (so my thoughts) this might have much more dramatical repercussions on the close range...?<p> Thanks, too, for the FAQ link, the procedure as supplied by John Collier appears to be pretty straight forward. I think I'll give it a go.