How do they do this?

The first operation eliminates unwanted information from the shadows, the second operation eliminates unwanted information from the highlights. What you are left with is this image.

Basically what you do is to superimpose two images, then find a series of operations that eliminates the unwanted one.

You are right Emre, and they must be doing this by interpolating the pixels of both images. If you zoom in at pixel level you'll see that it seems to be 1 pixel of 1 image and the next from the other image.

Or something like that... I wonder if there are any PS plugin to do this.

I gave it a try. Here's how I did it.

1. Create a checker pattern.

File>new> 2x2 pixels. Make the top left and bottom right black. then click edit>define pattern.

2. Now Take image A (photo of my wife) convert it to b&w, drop the contrast and bump the brightness (this you'll have to experiment with).

3. Take image B (coloseum) and put it in a layer under image A.

4. Create a mask on image A, choose fill tool, choose pattern and then select the pattern you created in the first step. fill your checkered patern on the mask.

now you have two interlaced images! you'll probably have to do some fine tuning at this point. Oh yeah and you may have switch between indexed color, and rgb a couple times. it's not perfect, but it gives you the idea. here's my go at it:

<p>So why is there such a huge difference between LCD and CRT here? I was intially looking at this with CRT and I couldn't even detect the checkerboard at all without zooming in. On the LCD it is completely obvious.</p>

<p>Is it just my CRT? I'm comparing a 21" CRT at 1600x1200 to a 15" laptop LCD at 1024x768. Is the CRT really losing that much of the high frequency information that it gets completely smoothed out? It is being driven through a KVM switch, so I'm probably losing some detail there.</p>

<p>Anyway... For those who are still wondering what's going on here... The two images reside in different parts of the histogram, with the main image dominting the middle and low values, and the hidden image in the brightest values. The entire range of brightness in the hidden image is also compressed into only the few highest values. By bringing the brightness way down, you push the main image into black, and bring the hidden image down into the middle range (but it's still just a few values around middle gray). Then you crank up the contrast and that expands the values in the middle of the histogram out to the full range from black to white.</p>

Malcolm