300d @ ?529

amit parmar

Hi

I've been using a Canon Eos 300 35mm camera for about 2 years now

and it's been a great camera

looking to updrade to the 300d, looking at body only, i've got a

1.8 50mm and an old 70-210mm 3.5/4.5 usm both ef lenses.

Read a lot about the comparrison on between the 10d VS 300d

7dayshop.com have dropped the price on this a few times this last

month and are now doing it for ?529.00

The price is cheap in comparrison to anyone else, i buy all my film

from them and they are very reliable

i would appreicate any advise on the camera before i buy?

what do you think to the price?

thanks in advance

Usual parameters that if you are living in mainland GB you may or may not get caught with the additional VAT payable on the import from the Channel Islands. - see the "about us" page on the 7DS website.

You also need to check the warrenty offered covers the UK and that it comes shipped with English firmware disks. Some dealers are grey importing and shipping with Japanese firmware disks which is a bit of a problem if you buy one really!

I have heard recently that 7DS are having trouble meeting the demand supplying orders received and that shipping can take several weeks.

Mike Smith

London

I have had the Camera for a couple of months and also had the 300 and 600 film bodies. So far I like the 300D very much. I think it handles nicely and the controls are easy to get used to. I also bought the BG-E1 which gives it a much more robust feel and for those men with big hands (or women for that matter) it doesn't feel so small and light. For someone who is an amateur I think it is a great camera at a great price if you need more features then the 10D is the obvious choice.

I do all of my shooting RAW mode and have been very pleased with the results. I do little post-processing and have printed some A4 shots which have come out very nicely indeed.

As for the price - that is amazing but be aware that you may have to pay VAT on that price and may (although haven't heard of this happening yet and there are other posts about buying from 7dayshop) have to pay other import duties. Even so 529 plus extras will almost certainly be cheaper than any other UK high street prices.

Buy the camera and enjoy!

B

Personally, I have a EOS 30E so I'm waiting for the successor to the 10D before I start thinking about digital, as I think the 300D will be limiting me. But if you are happy with the 300 the 300D is the same thing (and more) in digital. Plus with the various hacks around you can get extra functionality available in the 10D.

Have you considered the fact that your lenses will have a differnet field-of-view?

Also, some are saying that there is a risk of having to pay VAT or other duties if you buy from 7day things like that. I've been buying my film and other things from them without problems but a camera is a different thing. I also saw a report that the cameras were US imports, i.e. US warranty. Don't know what that means if the camera breaks down. The description say EOS Rebel/300D and since DRebel is the US name, it probably is true.

Finally, there is cameraking.co.uk, a shop in London, that does the body for ?670. If you have to pay VAT on the 7day purchase you'll top 680, if there are no other charges. Personally, I would buy something from a place I can visit if something goes wrong, even if it costs a bit more.

thanks a lot guys, you know when you really want something, somtimes you don't really think it through, and just buy it! well i'm glad i've not done so, yet anyway

I've contacted 7dayshop via email on details brought up, i'll let you know how i get on

just one question for Panos. you mentioned my lenses will have a differnet field-of-view? could you explain a bit more?

Thanks Again

Put your 70-210 on your EOS300. Zoom it slightly to 80mm. Now look through the viewfinder, and this is the field of view you will have when you use your 50mm f/1.8 on the 300D. The field of view is reduced to what you would see using a lens with 1.6x the focal length on full frame. Cut out a rectangular hole in a piece of paper with dimensions of 24 x 16 mm and use this as a mask centred over your slides or negatives - this shows what the 300D would have captured if you had used the same lens and settings as you actually did. Also, be aware that the size of the image in the viewfinder will be much smaller than you are used to because of the cropped view due to the small sensor.

As Mark explained, the crop of the sensor converts your lenses to a 1.6x view on the 300D. That is why you should probably get the kit lens as the 18-55 would be equivalent to the view of a 29-89mm lens on your film camera. Another cheap option (instead of the 18-55) is buying a 28/2.8 or 35/2.8.

I have the Drebel and the 50mm 1.8 lens. I use this lens when I want the best quality, but the angle of view is annoyingly narrow in many cases. I bought the Sigma 18-125 for wide angle, and sold the kit lens.

I actually use the 28-135 IS lens on the camera most of the time, switching to the 50mm for low light or when I need the best quality.

I would love to have a full-frame 35mm sensor someday, if the price goes down by about 5x.