To eat or not to eat....

duffy_smith

I have it written into my contract that if full recepeption coverage is purchased,

then a meal will be provided to the photographer and an assistant.

There is an option to not provide this, then we will leave the hall for a one

hour "dinner break". I have never had a problem with this, in fact even when

I'm not covering the whole evening, most couples even offer to let us stay as a

guest for dinner.

It seems rather rude to me the way it has been presented to you.

I am actually surprised that so many photographers eat on the job. I and I have made it clear to my assistant that we won't take food even if offered unless the event is complete and people are filing out. I never expected my employers to feed me when working in the corporate world, why would I now. Can you imagine working for Boeing or Chrysler or Schwab and expecting them to feed you lunch, no, you go out and buy it. Why would it be expected in your current job as photographer. I guess this just shocked me a little and like all other jobs I have had, I bring my own lunch.

Almost every wedding has a few "no-shows" >> the B&G have paid for the meals...just connect with the banquet captain he/she will certainly pass the food on to you...just dine in another area then the guest. Dinned alone, under the stars, at last nights' event...right at the oceans edge...and undisturbing to the B&G guests! I even stayed an extra 15 minutes for them, without pay..rare for me.

I also stipulate in the contract that a meal will be privided for the photographer(s). This is up-front and is a part of the agreement. It's not charity or a favor from the client.

This is a reasonable stipulation since we often work 12 hours and, in order to do a good job, we need to eat.

Aron,

Often a wedding can last up to 14 hours (even longer on some occasions) I

don't know about you, but I can get pretty hungry during 14 hours of work.

Covering events such as weddings professionally usually means that you

don't get to take a lunch break and two coffee breaks as you would as if you

worked for Chrysler or some other company. I find it the norm to be treated

with respect for your professional services,and not only weddings I 've been

treated to lunch when shooting corporate events, advertising shoots & the

such. It's not so much as a matter of getting or expecting food, as being

treated fairly for the service that you are providing.

I guess I look at it this way, my father shot weddings for 30+ years, I have

worked with him for 15. Niether he nor I have ever been not seated and fed(

with the other vendors at the back of the room) and we eat lightly and quickly

we sit for about 15 to 20 min. and resume shooting.

If I were having a wedding I would provide my hired help to a meal just like

the rest of my guests, it would be rude of me not to.After all I would be

probably spending somewhere between 20,000- 30,000 for the event total,

could I spare the extra 100.00 for my vendors to eat? sure I could.

Out of 500 weddings Ive been to,Ive not been fed maybe 2-3 times.I have learned to deal with this,without whining to anyone in real life or cyberland.I agree that we are there to create art to be treasured,we just get sh-t upon sometimes in the process.If I were truly starving and didnt have a Powerbar or piece of fruit along,I would ask the kitchen,but never the bride & groom!

We generally are only with the B&G for 4-5 hours..so usually gone before dinner....But discuss the issue with the B&G first...they are paying. ANd if you are charging $600+ an hour and having a $100 plate could be a touchy subject. If our contract has us long enough, to include the dinner --- we generally like to eat first --so we are ready for any activities. We have a good repore with the "kitchens" of the venues, we work. They can deliver something your way. Very different in our area with Event photography, though---they have "police" individuals -- who make sure your hand never touches a hor dourves!!

--

a few links

http://www.ultimatewedding.com/articles/get.php?action=getarticle&articleid=605

I dunno Kevin -- I have a lot of self respect... ;-) That's why I make sure I eat something and make sure my assistants eat something which means I have respect for them as well. I also run and climb and exert tons of energy when I shoot... If I don't eat - I'll get light headed and have hunger pains.. Not a good thing when I'm trying to be creative. Again - Even if I eat before hand.. It may be 11am and by the time we prepare, load, go over the info sheet with my assitants, drive (usually 1 to 3 hours) and start working with the couple.. it may be 6 or 7 pm before dinner is served. <p>I guess there is no "right" answer.. Just what works for you. As to the couples -- Mine always understand and go out of their way to make sure we're happy. Furthermore, I guess they think of us as creative partners rather than hired help. My couples continue to be in touch with e-mails, Christmas cards and many of them have become friends that we dine with from time to time.

Do you most of you stay 6 or more hours with the B&G?? Our clients generally do not wish to have us the whole day. I average 1 dinner hour >>> per 6 weddings. The area is quite small here and nothing is more than a 20-30 minute drive. I walk down the hill in the morning to the gym..have a cup of coffee..return home and start to dress. I only take a small camera bag --which I keep in the car trunk all the time--and just a pickup a charged battery ...10 to 15 rolls of film from the frig ..on the way out. We try to shoot 2 hours before the ceremony >>> all the families and bridal party are finished before walking down the aisle ( I keep a apple in the bag, that I munch on, during a long hour service) If the B&G are a traditional type and we did not shoot them as a couple prior to the ceremony..we arrange those posses for about 20-30 minutes after. Then to the cocktail hour for candids and by the 4th hour ...I do a mock cake cutting shot and leave. Or if they have contract beyond (rarely) I stay for dinner as a guest in the reception room or out of the way and grab something from the banquet captain.

I have it written into the contract that the photographer and my team has to be fed a warm

meal. I make it a point to tell the b&g that a "vendor meal" will suffice ... I am not

expecting a lavish meal.

I do this because I have learnt from experience that it is impossible to maintain stamina

and concentration for a typical 8 hour shoot without taking a break and recharging my

batteries.

Usually, I am seated with the guests but just as often the vendors are ushered into a side

room for the meal. Sometimes, my assistant and I take turns eating so that we don't miss

any shots. We also make it a point to tell the DJ that we are taking a break so s/he should

not announce anything while we are out of the room.

C Jo -- My average stay is 6 hours although I have a 5 hour and a 7 or 8 hour option. Even a 5 hour wedding for me though is at least 1/2 hour and more often 1 hour away. I live in Alexandria, VA and we tend to do as much as 3 hours out in MD and southern VA. <p>Still -- we have at least 1 1/2 hour prep time and almost never do group shots (except the bride and her parents and wedding party) before the wedding. We regularly go 7+ hours with no food... We don't have time to eat an apple...during those hours ;-) After the ceremony we're doing the family shots, the wedding party and the couple. One hour -- usually and we encourage the couple to have an hour and a half cocktail hour so they can enjoy some of it. I like the authentic joy and happiness without a trace of tension after the ceremony. Having been married recently myself -- I can fully appreciate how tense and distracted I would have been if I did my shots before the ceremony.

Mary Very True!!

"- usually and we encourage the couple to have an hour and a half cocktail hour so they can enjoy some of it. I like the authentic joy and happiness without a trace of tension after the ceremony. Having been married recently myself -- I can fully appreciate how tense and distracted I would have been if I did my shots before the ceremony."

>>> Wish more of my weddings worked this way for the B&G!! Usually less than a hour cocktail time and then directly to the dinner table ( I usually help to gather everyone -- to keep on schedule ) As I had said in other threads ::: the venues do not allow that much time on the property--almost all close by 10 pm --so about 5 hours from ceremony to last dance,,,(no live music after certain hour in Carmel area) I do have one 8 hour wedding (different venue I have not worked for 12 years ) next month and have made arrangements for dinner! Wish more clients could afford us for the full day ^^^

C Jo -- Carmel California??? My brother lives there and is an artist.. Mike Ball -- Know the name? <p>Wonder why they just don't have the ceremony early enough to start the reception earlier? Some venues try to insist to my couples that the food for cocktail hours is based on one hour and it is their practice to have an hour cocktail hour... Yet - I know there is always food left in the veggie/dips and cheese tables after an hour.. So the passed food stops.. So - they just insist on the 1 1/2 hour and the caterer complies. <p>I also counsel them to get from the caterer or contact what time the guests will be "seated" and change that time if need be... How many times I saw an "hour" cocktail hour that the caterer started seating people at 45 min. <p>Sometimes -- I suggest that couples allow 1/2 hour or 1 hour between the end of the ceremony and the start of the cocktail reception. Believe it or not sometimes it is 2 hours! Guests go back to the hotel and freshen up -- or walk around town and stop somewhere for coffee or a drink and then go on to the reception. Of course, this only works if the ceremony is at a church vs at the reception site.

Mary ^^^^ check you PM on brother..

But this town just does not really "give" too much on their rules > set in stone < so many years ago. Yes, they are guilty of moving the guest along @ the 50 minute mark (with my help) for the cocktails. Everything works like clock work. When I have only 4 hours to gather all my images, I certainly welcome the military like order. Yes, the B&G and guest probably feel very rushed & cheated. They pass the fluffy (read expensive) hor'dourves and they are gone in the first 1/2 hour of cocktails and they are generally very hungry when we sit them down for dinner. I am usually able to shoot ever foursome/couple attending > during the 40 minutes of cocktails. If I am hired to stay longer than 4 hours --someone in the kitchen feeds me whatever is "over" the B&G guarantee. Or munch on a piece of fruit.