Don't bother to bring telephoto lens to wedding?

derek_c.

When I still had a Leicaflex SL I'd sometimes bring a 180/2.8 but almost never used it. Another lens I loved (it was stolen) was a 150mm f/2.3 Astro Pan Tachar. Now I sometimes carry a 135/2.8 Elmarit for my rangefinder Leicas but almost never use it, rarely going past 85 or 90mm.

I usually shoot with a 20/1.8 on the one camera and a 28-80 on my main camera. If I could get a hold of a 1d2 then I'd shoot with the 24-70 on it and my 70-200 on the other camera (10d or 300D).

But that situation hasn't presented itself yet.

I am trying a 100/2 on a 10D for the distant stuff at the moment and I like the shrpness and brightness it offers. I am also trying the 85/1.8 but find it is just short of the length I most like. :-(

I also take a 70-200is for longer sniper type shots. Occasionally, I have pulled out the 2x converter and shot across a lake or some such.

I try to work within the limits of a single lens,a 35-70 zoom.This is the ideal focal length for most wedding work,IMHO.Having slightly WA for groups and of course normal for 90% of my shots,and the 70mm end comes in handy for isolating things.However,there are always the moments you need wider or longer.I carry an 18mm,24mm,35mm,50mm,85mm,105mm,and a 135mm.There are times when a 80-200mm zoom might be just the ticket too.Especially shooting across ponds etc,sometimes the 70mm leaves me short.

I use my 70-200 2.8 IS lens for abbout 30% of my shots... The rest are shot with 17-35 and 28-70. Indoors..I often use my 35 1.4. The 70-200 allows me to be invisible to my clients and the guests - they often have no idea the camera is trained on them..

Derek,

I always carry my 80-200 2.8 lens. When there are church restrictions that keep me in back of church then I couldn't do without it. Sometimes use it when outside for candid shots.

I have a 300 2.8L, left over from my nature/wildlife photog days, but I've never carried it to a wedding. Maybe someday I'll be restricted to the balcony of a very *big* church and use it then. Or I may just sell it, since I don't do much wildlife anymore, although some receptions come close to a *wild time*. I could sell it and get a MK II. That might make me more money that the 300 makes just sitting around doing nothing.

Cliff

It depends on the size of the church and how restrictive they are. In the south, there is no

shortage of churchs that only allow photography from the back balcony during the

ceremony. Combine this with a large church and you're in for some fun.

Knowing the church, the restrictions, and what type of photos the B&G expect help to plan

how much glass you'll need.

I prefer to stick with a 85/1.8, but all too often we need a little more reach.<div>008w1P-18883984.jpg.51b86aa4c53f302009c33d2438d14fb0.jpg</div>

I use an 80-200 2.8L for between 30-40% of my work on a film camera. But i am also the photographer that gets stuck at the back of the church while my partner shoots the closer stuff. I love it for reception work so i can isolate people from across a table or 2. It also is great for working with just the bride and groom giving them space to relax with out you right up on them for the intimate photos. 2.8 is fast enough for most of our work, but i pull out the 85 1.8 when light drops or i don't like the background.

On a digital 1.6x crop i do find the 80-200 pretty long so i use the 28-70 more with my digital camera, or just go with the 85.

Years ago, I only had a 50mm f/1.7 and a 90mm f/4 lenses. Now, I have a "arsenal" but I normally take the 50mm f/1.4, the 35-70mm f/2.8 and the 80-200mm f/2.8 (I have two camera bodies).

It's easy to keep the lenses in the custom-made pockets of my jacket and not that difficult to switch back and forth as the need arises. I try to work with someone else to hand over a camera or lens. It's best when working with another photographer that will have the "other" lens while you shoot with one lens.

I attended a wedding (as a guest) where the photographer had only one lens: a Sigma 28-300mm lens! He must've been shooting some fast film since he was not allowed to use strobe during the church ceremony. It seemed to work for him...