Suggestions for 6x6 SLR with fast 80mm, Graflex Norita?

lars_arvid_s.

Hi, as I want to expand from my Lubitel 166U, I'm looking for a 6x6-

format SLR, perferably with a fast normal lens. I've tried a

Hasselblad 500c with a 80/2,8 but would like something a little more

like my SLR (OM-1 with 50/1,4). In my research I've learned that

there aren't many lenses in 6x6 faster than f/2,8. But I found

information about a camera - a Graflex Norita 66 with a Noritar 80/2-

lens - this seems like the perfect camera for me. But I haven't

found any here in Norway.

I don't know too much about the camera, so if you know anything

about the reliability or the price on the used market, I would

really like to know.

Also, are there any other alternatives? I will try to stay with 6x6,

as I understand Pentax has some 6x7-format-cameras. Oh, being a

student, it wouldn't hurt if it was reasonably priced..

Thanks!

Why do you want a lens faster than 2.8? You have found out there aren't too many

around. I guess a Rollei 6006 or 6008 with a 2.0/80 mm Xenotar will be too expensive. Is

it shallow DOF you want? In MF you don't have to open up to 1.4 to get this. Or just

brightness of screen? In that case a modern, brighter screen will help. Just some thoughts.

I have a Graflex Norita with the 80mm f/2 lens. It's an decent camera with no frills; the lens is as sharp as anything I've compared it to (Hassy Zeiss lenses and Pentax 67 lenses). It looks and handles like a slightly smaller Pentax 6x7. They used to go for around $300 U.S., but with the prices on used MF gear dropping I'd imagine that a Norita 66 should be available for dirt cheap. The shutter release jammed on mine after many rolls, but there was no problem finding someone to fix it here in the U.S. It can handle 120 and 220, and do double exposures. There is no mirror lock up, but I've seen a few that were modified to have it.

Thanks for the great responses so far.

Ed, I'm aware of the M645, but I would like to stick to 6x6.

Ferdi, I'm planning to use the camera to take informal portraits and I like photos with shallow DOF, that said - are there any other, relatively inexpensive, 6x6 SLR with a 80/2,8? Haven't heard much praise for the Kiev 60, would that be a better choice?

Matt, thanks a lot for the info about price - you don't know where I can look for used Noritas on the 'net? You don't got any scanned pictures taken at wide apertures? Just found this site, which got one photo at f/2: http://dantestella.com/technical/norita66.html

mvh,

Lars.

I think Mr Stutterheim makes some good points above. You may also be able to use a faster film in medium format to give the extra speed a bigger aperture facilitates. If it were me I'd be trying to go with the bigger brands rather than a Graflex. That's not a quality debate btw- just a practical response to issues like ease of buying/repairing/spare parts.

Why not consider a Century Graflex? You could use a superb Schneider Xenotar 80/2.8, and have some front movements, which will do more for the out of focus look than a fast lens. In addition, you can do closeups at 1:1, and choose from a variety of different lenses. To top it off, Graflex Century cameras are currently very cheap, but they are built like tanks and tend to last forever.

I haven't seen one around since Olden and Camera Barn dumped them in the 70s, but they very much have a "look"

It is a so=so camera with a lens you will either love or hate.To quote from <a href=" http://www.dantestella.com/technical/norita66.html">Dante Stella's excellent review</a>

<blockquote>"Lenses: there are a number of lenses for the Norita, but the one you really want is the one it comes with: the 80mm f/2 Noritar. Of the normal and longer lenses, it focuses the closest (0.8m) and is the fastest. The lens is just... lovely. It's the MF version of the Noctilux. It's got so many aberrations wide-open that the subject is rendered perfectly and the background just melts away.

? In terms of minimum depth of field, the 80/2 at 0.8m has 28mm of depth of field, which is the same as a Pentax 105/2.4 lens for the 6x7 at 1m. At that distance, both have 0.11x magnification."</blockquote>

I love big fast lenses with lots of aberrations, if I hadn't switched to all digital I'd track one down.

No first hand experience here, but what I have read is that the viewfinder coverage of the Norita 66 is very poor. You'll miss a centimeter or so from what will be recorded on film. I personally will find this a major drawback.

If you can live with a f2.8 than you the Kiev 60 is just right for you. Viewfinder coverage is better than the Norita 6 (and the Pentacon 6). It's operates like a 35mm SLR and it is dirt-cheap.

Isn't the 80 a bit wide for portrait work? Then again, there aren't many rules in photography!

Do note that if you want a fast but longer lens a Kiev (or anything with a Pentacon Six lens mount) will give you access to a selection of fast lenses from Carl Zeiss Jena and Schneider as well as the Russian Hartblei's.

You can have a look at the lenses here: http://www.pentaconsix.com/LensTest.htm

Just a thought...

I own two Norita bodies and every lens they make from the 40mm to the 400mm. They are great cameras. The lenses are very good, but not as sharp as modern lenses. They have an interesting look to them wide open (for the most part) and get pretty sharp when stopped down. If you are just switching over from a Lubitel, I would recommend the Norita as a "step-up" into a better camera system. THe downside is that you can expect to have a repairman go over your camera to make sure it is ok. Noritas are prone to shutter curtain bounce and other problems. But I had Ross Yerkes CLA my cameras about 7 years ago and I have put them through heavy use since then and they have worked perfectly.

William

Thanks again (and sorry for posting my reply under my GFs account).

I'm still intrigued (sp?) by the Norita, will try to locate one, haven't bougth anything through ebay before. Thanks for the tip about viewfinder coverage and about the Pentacon Six-line - will have to do some more searching and reading.

Lars,

I have a Bronica S2A with an 80mm 2.4. It's a nice 6x6 SLR that's

built like a tank and can be had for around $350.00 or less in

excellent condition. The 80mm 2.4 is actually from the later

Bronica EC camera, but you can find these for sale on the web

pretty easily. Look for more info on this camera and the Norita at

the Medium Format Megasite.

I just got a Norita 66 with the 80mm F2 . Since i also love TLRs and waist level viewing, i waited to see one that sold with the rare WLF. I like it more than the prism viewer (i have it too), that one is a little limited like others said but it is rather small and light for such a camera.

My criterias where : SLR, 6x6, DOF preview, fast normal, both viewers, filter size smaller than 67mm (it is 62mm) and multiple exposure capable. If it had also mirror lockup, it would be great. I intend to use it mostly hand-held at F4 with WLF. It is around 3 1/2 pounds, so much heavier than your OM-1 or lubitel but still lighter than the over 5 pounds Pentax 67.

There was also a third viewer: a larger metered prism but i never saw one. Body + normal lens + unmetered prism is $275-$350 US on Ebay these days.

Another alternative : a Mamiya 645E with the 80 F1.9 instead of 2.8 . It is metered and aperture priority.